MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/16/2012 07:29 PM

Disability rating for BP II

toredown

When I retired from the Army I filled out VA form whatever to claim a service-connected disability. I got 10 % for hearing loss and a whopping 10% for Depression. That was in 05'. Last year for the hell of it I filed a re-claim because my diagnosis was changed to BP2 the first year out of the Army. I finaly get "the letter" Saturday. My disability rating jumped to 70%!!

It's nice to know crazy pays. More importantly the VA is finaly recognizing mental illness is like any other disability. The shift in rating scales were in response to the increasing numbers of soldiers coming home with TBI's, PTSD,and Major depression.

04/16/2012 07:55 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Interesting that it changed that much. It's good that they are recognizing mental illnesses like any other disability because it is a disability.

04/17/2012 01:03 AM
wisewuman

That's refreshing to hear. When I told my employer about my bipolar, they said it's a disability and gave me an extended trigger (for attendance management procedures). Also, reasonable adjustments, including job role & hours to suit my condition (to work well with my sleep routine & minimise stress) ... even where I sit!

04/17/2012 01:47 AM
mem4809

I am sorry you and others have to go through this but it is good to know that mental illness isn't just the invisible disorder anymore. All I hear about in the news is how so many soldiers are experiencing PTSD, it's so sad.

I hope you are stable on your meds. Thanks for sharing!

04/17/2012 02:57 PM
InvisibleMe
InvisibleMe  

That's fantastic that you re-applied for it! I know it will help a lot.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved