MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/30/2009 10:17 AM

Really crappy feelings - Mindfullness Therapy?

mce00771
mce00771  

I have only had three appointments with the therapist since being diagnosed, but she is big on starting with Mindfullness Therapy, which starts with detailed body awareness. She says that mood is expressed in every part of our body, so she asked me if I could identify physical sensations corresponding to the onset of a mixed episode. I was able to do that. I usually push my awareness of it aside when I am at work; just put a lid on it as best I can. She said that I need to really examine what is going on with my body when this happens. It just so happens that when I was in her office on Monday, an episode was coming on (I cycle many times daily. She had me focus in on the sensation without doing anything about it. She wanted me to observe rather than react. The act of observing my physicality made me terribly weepy and I just felt ugliness. It was Awful. She said that I need to continue to practice this whenever I am alone. Is anyone else undergoing this type of treatment, and if so, what have your results been like?

05/01/2009 12:34 PM
mce00771
mce00771  

Guess this one went unnoticed. Anyone tried this type of therapy?

05/01/2009 02:07 PM
oceanchild
oceanchild  

I have never done this type of therapy, but it sounds a little intense...I have heard of mindfulness practice, but not like this. I am in DBT, dialectical behavior therapy. DBT uses mindfulness as being an observer-living in the moment, but haven't gotten to that level. I think I may be very uncomfortable with the exercise you describe (I too am an ultra-ultra rapid cycler).

In DBT we talk about communication, coping skills, and emotion control as well as mindfulness.

05/01/2009 03:04 PM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

I'm an ultradian rapid cycler myself. I've tried using this technique before to no avail. My emotions are too intense and they cycle way too fast for me to control them. All I can do is try to get things under control by either taking a Clonzepam if I feel myself start to rapid cycle into agitation, mania or depression or call a friend, family member or 911 for help. As far as mixed episodes are concerned, I've only had 2 of them and was completely miserable. I was inpatient both times and am glad I was because I seriously considered harming myself. I couldn't take feeling 2 emotions at the same time.

05/01/2009 03:07 PM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

I also wanted to mention that my pdoc said you can't think your way out of rapid cycling because it's biological in nature. You can take steps to minimize the chance of it happening, but you can't prevent it entirely. This is why he prescribed Clonazepam so that I had a way of keeping my rapid cycling under control. I've been on this med for almost 4 weeks now and so far, no rapid cycling -- not even once/day which is amazing considering the fact that I rapid cycle every hour and sometimes every minute.

Post edited by: neondreams, at: 05/01/2009 03:08 PM

05/01/2009 08:13 PM
oceanchild
oceanchild  

I have mixed states fairly often and suicidal ideation frequently goes with it, it is the most debilitating aspect of rapid cycling in my opinion. It sucks to feel depressed yet agitated and hypomanic. Definitely can't think my way out of that state. Like the tide I wait it out, and just try to stay afloat...and keep breathing.

05/03/2009 01:22 PM
mce00771
mce00771  

Thank you for your replies neon and ocean. I am going to stay the course and see if there may be another mes I can take to try to stop the rapid cycling. I don't think she is going to want to change anything until the lamictal gets to a therapeutic dosage, but I am going to ask nonetheless. I usually have these episodes like clockwork after lunch at work. It is agonizing trying to hold it in and appear normal and functional. I am glad to hear others with the same experience and know that I am not just a whimp when I want to crawl out of my skin and think about walking in front of a bus!

05/03/2009 01:24 PM
mce00771
mce00771  

My doctor prescribed Neurontin for me last week for anxiety and sleep. I tried it today at home when the agitation (maybe anxiety?) was coming along with the depression and it seemed to take the edge off. Maybe if I take the anxiety out of the mix it will be better.

05/03/2009 02:40 PM
oceanchild
oceanchild  

my hypomania often comes in the form of anxiety and racing thoughts, getting that part under control really helps the anger and irritability piece of the hypomania for me...and when I am soooo happy, well then I don't FEEL like I need help...

I have a friend who takes neurontin and it has done wonders for her OCD anxiety.

05/03/2009 03:05 PM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

I experience extreme irritability and anxiety during manic and hypomanic episodes. Ever since my pdoc prescribed Clonazepam to help control my rapid cycling, I no longer cycle into agitation or depression which makes my hypomania enjoyable. I also don't feel anxious due to Fluoxetine which I take for depression.

Post edited by: neondreams, at: 05/03/2009 03:05 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved