MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/07/2012 12:52 AM

What is the highest dose of Lamictal ?

Artiste
Artiste  

my sons pdoc has him increasing to potentially 400 mgs Lamictal. It is the only med he is on. Seems to work okay when first increased but wears off and he goes all hypomanic ( irritable, not happy/productive ). Is this normal .

04/07/2012 02:41 AM
mem4809

I am on 400mg of lamictal and my pdoc's resources report 400mg is the highest. But that helps with depression. I think he probably should speak to his Psychiatrist (pdoc) about going on an anti-psychotic which helps with the hypomania. In my experience and many others here, both are needed.

04/07/2012 01:04 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I agree, I think an anti-psychotic would help with the hypo-mania. I'm sorry your son is going through this. Many of us are on a lot of medications to control our symptoms. He sounds like he needs one added. I hope that your son can feel better soon. It's tough watching someone you love suffer. Call his doctor for sure.

04/07/2012 09:05 PM
Artiste
Artiste  

Thanks for your input... His pdoc wants to max out on the Lamictal before he adds anything... We see him again in 3 weeks... Right now we are in "honeymoon period" with the increase, so okay for now... My concern is that each time his body adjusts to the higher dose it seems like the hypomania gets a little worse. What sort of antipsychotics work?

04/08/2012 11:34 AM
john1961
john1961Posts: 122

I am on a Lamictal and Seroquel cocktail with xanax when I start to go manic. It has wokred but do your research every med has side effects.Make sure to get a consult with an endocrinologist. So many drugs may cause Metabolic syndrome, hypothyroid, hormonal changes.Despite side effects I am pleased to say I have been stable about 3 years. Good luck

04/09/2012 04:55 AM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

The recommended dose of Lamictal for bi-polar disorder is 200mg. I various trials there was no significances benefit to people with bi-polar at doses higher than 200mg. Some of us are on higher doses, I am at 300mg.

People with epilepsy can go from 400mg to 800mg. We tried 400mg but it actually made my depression worse so we cut down to 300mg and it seems to be OK.

04/09/2012 09:04 PM
Artiste
Artiste  

At 200 mgs he was in SUCH hypomanic H E double toothpicks! I think that these would be considered mixed states? When he can't keep still but is totally irritable and dark thoughts? It's pretty scary to watch! We are still "honeymooning" with the L increase... (is this Cabo???) So nice to have my son back! He really is such a wonderful funny person that it kills me to see him when he is out of whack. Thanks for your advice... Back to the Internet for more research....

Post edited by: Artiste, at: 04/09/2012 09:06 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved