MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/16/2011 07:45 AM

Any hope for Lamictal and cognitive/memory issue?(page 3)

InvisibleMe
InvisibleMe  

Remember our doctors are our service providers. If they are not offering the service we need, then you may want to change doctors.

01/27/2012 04:09 PM
Portraitgirl

I have been taking 200mg of lamotrigine for about 4 years. Bipolar II. From the beginning I have felt a bit Dippy but I figured the medicine was working. It's sloWED my mind down. No problem. But lately I have been feeling down right stupid. I can't remember things from a few minutes past. I talk slowly since words come slowly to my brain. I also find that although I can remember a general idea I can no longer remember where and when I got the info. It's like I know the facts but I can't tell someone where I got them or even have a proper discussion about the fact. I feel like an idiot and no longer talk as much since I'm embarrassed as to what will come out of my mouth....not even sure if I am making myself clear in this post. So to the person who started this thread, you are not alone. I am going to my doctor next week and will keep you posted on developments. ( I also take klonepin to sleep since lamictal gives me insomnia...I'm sure this doesn't help.

01/28/2012 06:21 AM
InvisibleMe
InvisibleMe  

Welcome Portraitgirl! Have you tried to take the lamictal in the mornings? That's what I do. I already feel what you're talking about and I've only been on it for a year. I have to make list after list in order to remember things at work and what I have to do at home. My husband helps me remember social things as well, so that helps. Perhaps you should visit your pdoc and tell him/her about how you're feeling? I'm sure there are alternatives. I'm putting up with it for now, but I'm not sure for how long.

01/28/2012 07:45 AM
rigje
rigje  
I'm an Advocate

i have memory issues also. The most annoying is that i work in a technical field - and i have to constantly review old procedures, becasue i cant remember after a few months of not doing them. I guess the benefit of my moods not being so volatile is important to consider, but i am not sure - i know that the people around me are probably a bit happier because i dont have as many explosive episodes.

01/29/2012 01:49 PM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I had really bad memory problems on Lamictal the first year after that they cleared up. Been on it for about 5 years now no more memory problems. Other meds may mess with my memory but seems the Lamictal side cleared up.

02/08/2012 03:26 PM
redhen4

I can't even imagine taking Lamictal 400 mg! I was up to 300 and was like a zombie. I've tapered down to 225. My mind is a little better, but the mis-typed words and talking are still happening as well as off and on rage.

The other symptom I hadn't seen yet - twitchy fingers, especially when I type and have to type same letter twice in a row.

02/08/2012 03:58 PM
uplifted
upliftedPosts: 285

I am absolutely surprised to read this discussion. I have been taking lamital 400 daily for years. I experiece the same symtoms only when i dont take the medication. When i dont take it ON TIME i start feeling like my brain slows down. I forget what i wanted to say, and it takes me longer to comprehend conversations and to process information. I feel like my brain is an echo oh my surrounding and i lose confident to talk to others because i feel stupid. When i forget to take my medication on time i totally panic. I have a very bad memory to begin with so i cant tell whether or not the lamictal affected my memory.

Also, just a thought, perhaps it has to do with the brand or the company that produce the medication.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 3 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved