MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/30/2011 04:17 PM

dehydration

barelymanic
barelymanic  
VIP Member

Is everyone aware that many of our meds, especially anti depressants can cause us to dehydrate?

There were signs all over the counseling center i go to, stating how important it is for us to drink water and to keep hydrated.

Personally i think water is over rated, don't get me wrong i mean by itself. I went on a horseback ride down the grand canyon and they gave us something salty, some fruit, some carbs and some protein. They had been doing this for years, so i am confident that they found out that eating those types of foods help along with water.

07/30/2011 06:45 PM
ComingUndone
ComingUndone  

Yep.. Last time I went to get my teeth cleaned the hygienist looked in my mouth and asked my if I was on meds lol.

I used to hate water but my stomach growls at work and it's very embarrassing so I drink water to make it stop.Blush Now I easily go through half a liter and if my stomach growls a lot I will drink the whole liter.

07/30/2011 09:03 PM
redphoenix
redphoenix  
VIP Member

I know my antipsychotic in particular has listed as one of the side effects that your body may not cool properly and to take caution not to get too hot or dehydrated.

07/31/2011 01:34 AM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I'm on Lamictal 300mg and I have to pee all the time so I drink a lot of fluids. Its been this way for years. I do notice that I can't work out in the sun for long periods of time. I have to take a lot of breaks and drink a lot of fluids. It gets worse if I take my anti-psychotic Zyprexa. Between the two I sweat a lot while outside in the heat to the point my clothes get soaked, looks like I just came out of the shower fully clothed.lol

I'm used to it now and its to be expected when ever I have to work in the yard. I have to take many precautions against the heat, drink plenty of fluids, take many breaks, and sometimes take breaks in the air condition so I don't get heat sickness.Sick

It was 100 degrees here yesterday. I think thats a record for where I am in North Carolina.Shocked Its already 80 degrees with 94% humidity at 4:30am and no wind. I'll have to be careful working in the yard today. Its going to be 92 degrees by noon.Blink

08/07/2011 01:45 PM
danzig621
danzig621  

i'm taking Clonidine to combat withdrawl from benzos. not sure if it's listed as being de-hydrating but my mouth is constantly dry. i drink roughly a gallon of water a day and my urine is still really yellow (TMI??).

08/07/2011 07:10 PM
onemoc
onemoc  

yeah- my pdoc encourages me to drink more water and I have over the years. I still don't take quite enough yet.

08/08/2011 02:28 AM
InvisibleMe
InvisibleMe  

Because all my meds (incl others I take along with the list below) causes dehydration, I have to drink 3 x 32 oz a day of water. I've gotten used to it. I had to quit caffeine for several reasons, but one was because it causes dehydration.

08/08/2011 05:33 AM
barelymanic
barelymanic  
VIP Member

danzig as far as I know there is no rule against TMI. So feel free. There is also no rule against posting crazy and incomprehensible stuff.

But group leaders are supposed to make an effort to keep people on topic.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved