MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/12/2010 11:47 AM

Lamictal(page 2)

skullhappy
skullhappy  

I've been on lamotrigene for a couple of years now. I'm at 400 mgs, which is a lot I suppose, but I guess I need that much! It has been a life saver. The only side effect I feel is very drowsy in the morning, but that could be because of the abilify or cymbalta. I plan on asking my pdoc when I see him.

10/12/2010 01:49 PM
ct1978
ct1978  

Ok well costco won the price war. $225 wow what a bargainWink Whatev it's done now and I can try to move forward. Roll on 5 weeks time when I can switch to the generic. I have to pick them up Wednesday at 3. Is it best to take them at night or in the morning?

10/12/2010 03:05 PM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I take it in the morning because it gives me energy. I don't sleep well taking it at night. I have heard of many take it at night so I guess you'll have to see what works best for you.

10/12/2010 04:08 PM
ct1978
ct1978  

Thanks for your reply Rick. I'm not the best of sleepers so I'm thinking I should take it in the morning. Thanks once again.

10/12/2010 08:30 PM
Anneinside

CT1978, the starter kit provides a way to slowly increase the dosage of the lamictal. If you start at a high dose or increase it too quickly then your chance of Steven-Johnson syndrome dramatically increases. It is a very serious skin disorder. Also, if you get it then you can't be on Lamictal any more. I also take the generic, Lamotrigine. It has been very good for me.

10/13/2010 08:12 AM
ct1978
ct1978  

yeah that rash sounds very scary. It's nice to know you're doing well on Lamictal Anneinside. Everyone seems so positive about it. I'm really hopeful it's going to be good for me.

10/13/2010 12:58 PM
iambu

I've been on the generic (Lamotrigine) for about 2.5 months. I take 100 mg a day. My doctor tells me that it's really more of a preventive measure to ward off depression than it is an actual treatment for depression. I was already having a mild/moderate episode of depression when I started it, so I can't say that it has necessarily made me any better but it hasn't been very long, I'm still kind of in the wait and see phase; however, a good friend of mine too it for about 3 years and he found it very helpful in controlling his moods. As others have said here, I experienced almost zero side effects. The only thing I noticed was that my alcohol tolerance went WAY down when I stated Lamotrigine and whenever I increased the dose, so, if you drink, even just socially, use caution or be prepared to be accidentally wasted. Good luck!

10/13/2010 01:58 PM
ct1978
ct1978  

Hope it works out for you iambu, it sounds like you're on the right track. I hardly drink so I'll be an alcohol free zone now I'm on meds but thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it.

10/13/2010 02:54 PM
Sunspyder

Oh my GOD! So this is why I have developed such a low tolerance for alcohol. I have become so wasted after 2 glasses of wine after starting Lamictal and with the dose increases that I walked into walls and passed out. It was so bad, I went to an AA Meeting because my family thought I had developed a drinking problem. I wasn't drinking any more than I had, I just couldn't tolerate alcohol and now I know why. Well, no drinking for me anymore. Thank you, iambu.

10/13/2010 02:58 PM
Sunspyder

P.S. Lamictal works really well for me. I couldn't imagine my life without it...not a semi-normal, functioning life anyway. Except for some itching with the dose increases, I haven't suffered any side effects or adverse reactions, except intolerance to alcohol...which I shouldn't be drinking anyway.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved