MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/02/2010 02:30 PM

high-dose seroquel peeps

bennyw
bennyw  

hey everyone,

just wondering if there's anyone on here who is taking 500mg plus of seroquel and what their experiences are...

...i've just moved up to 500mg xr this very evening. the drug is doing it's usual thing of kicking my arse when i increase the dose in terms of drowsyness/drugged up feeling.

...i've sort of come to terms with taking an antipsychotic, at least for the medium-term, but am a bit twitchy that i'm up to this dosage...

...does anyone take this amount or more and does it do the trick for them? how have they dealt with the weight gain thing? i seem to have gained weight but i think it's mostly muscle from working out...

09/02/2010 09:38 PM
hedap

Sorry Ben.

Not on Seroquel, but I know somebody'll be along to answer your questions. Hope things settle down and you adjust quickly.

hugs hedap

09/03/2010 08:00 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I hope it's the final step in your road to stability. You are doing a great job! Keep it up!

09/03/2010 08:24 AM
bennyw
bennyw  

gosh joy i hope so...i don't remember being this monged out! i suppose if i were to look hard for the plus side i'd mention that i am actually napping, rather than racing-through-semi-consciousness with my racing thoughts...but i am totally beat!!! hopefully this is a dose that's treating me wrong before it treats me right!

09/22/2010 07:37 PM
puppyPower
puppyPower  

sorry about the delinquincy of this post but i haven't been on in a while. I too enjoyed the wonderful feeling of zombieland that high doses of seroquel make happen. I was up to 800mg of Seroquel for a while till i got stable (bout 3 months i think). At that dose I slept all night, all morning, most of the afternoon, then repeat it all for the next day. HOWEVER...it did get better. We tried going back down to only 200mg but that wasn't enough to make me yawn. So currently I'm on 300mg of Seroquel and I don't have any of the sleepy zombie feelings at all any more. Give it some time and the feeling may improve. I say may just because everyone is diffferent, so your mileage may vary.

You say you are on 600mg of Seroquel XR? I think (don't quote me...not a pdoc!!!) that the XR variety is for depression. I was on 150mg of Seroquel XR for a few months for depression. It didn't work very well, so I was switched to symbyax.

I really hope you feel better. Hopefully it's just a matter of time before you get accustomed to the dosage. Be sure to let your pdoc know how it is making you feel, it's important.

09/23/2010 02:49 AM
bennyw
bennyw  

hey puppy power,

i guess the 600mg xr was prescribed for depression as i presented with depression but also somewhat of a mixed state.

glad you got accustomed to the higher dose and great that you've gotten to come down in dosage.

i've recently gone up to 600mg xr, thankfully with no immediate zombified effect, though the medication does seem to have messed with one of my liver enzymes so we're still waiting for that to drop down to normal (it's improving but not baseline yet)

hope you're well,

ben

09/25/2010 04:31 PM
mom2meg
mom2meg  

I think I spoke to you in the past Benny. If you recall my experience was not good but that is not everyones case. I am on 900 mg and have to get off completely due to it tearing apart my digestive tract. I am on 600 now and the drop from 900 to 600 was not plesant.

09/26/2010 06:02 AM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I was on XR for about a month but it just stopped working. We decided to stick with the Zyprexa since I don't have any bad side effects, and it helps me sleep. It is also good for depression & mania, and can work in less than an hour, from my experience.

Its one of the only meds I take that has not changed in years besides Lamictal.

09/26/2010 08:38 AM
bennyw
bennyw  

hi guys,

thanks for your feedback.

thankfully seroquel seems to have worked pretty consistently for me at now, the around 3-month mark.

as mom-to-meg says, i'm on the 600mg xr. i'd rather not go much higher than this and would rather they added in another mood stabaliser, rather than jacking up this neuroleptic med.

will see how things stand when i see my pdoc in a couple of weeks

ben

09/26/2010 11:08 AM
mom2meg
mom2meg  

Good luck to you Ben......

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved