MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/11/2010 01:19 PM

pdoc verdict

bennyw
bennyw  

so...i've come back from the psychiatrist and thought i'd write about what's being advised for me as well as recount some of the general stuff we chatted about for anyone's interest.

So...

Seroquel XR 300mg goes up to 400mg, as I've already derived benefits from it and pdoc reckons 400 might be the dose for me

Citalopram 20mg to be discontinued. Apparently he asked me to do this last time I was with him but I'm very dubious this is the case given the relative importance of that appointment to both of us

I'm discontinuing it over a week, taking the dose on alternative days and then fully stopping. Here's hoping for no withdrawl!!! Does anyone have experience of coming off citalopram/an antidepressant with this or other rapidity...?

Clonazepam .25 mg retained for evening use

Zopiclone 7.5mg retained for evening use

[u]Other interesting things the pdoc said

- I asked if bp was progressive. He said 'no', which I was surprised about! This runs contrary to the other things I've read. He said the more time you spend in an acute episode the more likely you are to spend more time in episodes like that but if medication was used properly to keep you out of full blown depressions/hypermanias then episodes can decrease in frequency.

- I asked if my recreational drug use might have 'caused' bp. He said at worst it might have brought its presentation foreward somewhat and that's it. This was a relief to me.

- He spoke more broadly about bipolar and remarked that only 1% of the brain's neurotransmitters are known about and that in the future it is likely that bipolar will be many-times subdivided into multiple different 'bipolars' and it will likely be the role of some sort of neural imagining to discern the difference between them, thus precipitating different pharmaceutical treatments in response.

lol the last points are obviously just me and him chatting but wish me well for the med change...there's a chance apparently that coming off the anti-d could adversely affect my mood. Please keep your fingers crossed with me that instead it will calm the racing thoughts and be that next step towards stability!

08/11/2010 02:11 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I heard that bipolar was progressive. Usually you are born with the bipolar disorder. It's interesting on the last part. You guys had quite a conversation! It interests me. I hope you got what you wanted out of it!!

08/11/2010 02:26 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

It's a disorder not a disease like Fibro is a syndrome both can worsen over time but cannot be progressive like Lupus and MS damaging and degenerating organs which is in how they use the term progressive in the medical field I'm familiar with. Does that make sense?

08/11/2010 02:40 PM
bennyw
bennyw  

hey stacey,

yeah i hear what you're saying...my pdoc has used both 'disease' and 'disorder' to describe bp...so I'm agnostic on using one term over the other...

...i did specifically ask him whether episodes became more frequent and severe with time...this was what he said 'no' to (on the condition that there is compliance with treatment)...this is what i meant (incorrectly or otherwise) by the term progressive

lol joy it was quite an interesting chat...to be honest he precipitated most of it. the first thing he said to me which he reiterated today was that only 10% of people have no significant fluctuation in their mood and that these people are the truly abnormal ones & that furthermore there were many, many people mood disorders who didn't report them...

08/11/2010 02:45 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

There are soo very many people out there I'm sure that are more in denial that something is wrong and refuse to seek out help.

08/11/2010 02:58 PM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Heck I knew I had a problem and didn't seek help. I can only imagine how many people don't.

I hope you med change goes well and you have little to no withdrawal from the one your quitting.

I can't say for sure I got worse over time since I was always depressed it was less at times but my frequency of major crashes came closer as I got older. This could have been due to a major lack of self esteem and self medicating more than BP getting worse. In other words I had a lot more triggers as time went on and I wasn't dealing with the depression or my traumatic past. The more I tried to repress those memories the worse it got for me. I hope that makes sense everyone.

08/11/2010 03:16 PM
brandib811
brandib811  
VIP Member

I'm glad your pdoc appointment went well. It sounds like you have a good one. I wish you luck with the increase

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved