MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/02/2010 05:21 PM

anyone switching to Effexor or currently taking?

mmm3
mmm3  

I read a lot of posts about people getting off of Effexor, but hardly any discussing adding it...or currently taking it. Has anyone else practically stopped functioning on Effexor? Did it get better? How long?

I'm in the process of switching to Effexor in combo with Lamictal (which I've been taking for years). I started with 37.5mg last week while tapering off Wellbutrin and Buspar. My pdoc warned me that I would experience hunger and fatigue, so I wasn't too worried about those side effects.

I was starting to feel better on Friday, the last day of Wellbutrin. I took 75mg Effex in the morning on Sat, Sun and Mon. I slept the entire time. I barely got out of bed to feed the cat and eat some oatmeal. Yesterday, I took 37.5mg at bedtime because I figured I might be more awake during the day. The fact that I'm posting here is proof that it helped a little, but I've still been sluggish all day.

Tonight, I'm going to try going back up to the 75mg. I was supposed to go on a vacation this week, but I didn't even leave the house until last night when a friend came over to help-- he vacuumed and I did a few loads of laundry. Then we went to eat. I am grateful for him. We weren't doing so well the past couple of months. I was sad and angry all the time. Now I'm just a big ol' piece of brain fuzz. PLEASE let me feel better before the end of the week. I'd at least like to take a day trip.

Thanks for reading.

06/02/2010 05:26 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I tried Effexor years ago and it just didnt work for me but everyone is different with meds and you cant go by me because I am so super med sensitive that it took going through almost all of the BP meds to find my magical med. It may just be taking time to adjust in your body, if you still feel like crap in a few days you should contact your pdoc and discuss it with them. I do know others here take that same combo and like it. I hope it begins to work well for you. Good Luck!

06/03/2010 09:13 AM
mmm3
mmm3  

Thanks, Miss Stacey. I actually had a few dreams last night. They were anxiety dreams, but at least I dreamed. Also, I realized that the headaches I've had since starting Effexor appear to be light-related. Whenever I go into a bright room, I get a shooting pain on the right side of my head, behind my eye. I'm going to take 75mg again tonight. Wish me luck to have a more productive day. Thanks!

07/11/2010 03:08 PM
mmm3
mmm3  

I visited the pdoc this past week and she explained that my fatigue and lack of motivation might be caused by too much Effexor. She said SSRI's can cause "the blahs". My case appears to be typical-- I want to do things like exercise, pay bills, etc. But I just don't have the "oomph" to get up and go.

Anyway, we cut the dosage in half. If this doesn't work, she said I might need to combine with Wellbutrin. The positive is I haven't been constantly crying.

07/11/2010 03:09 PM
mmm3
mmm3  

Oh, I forgot to mention that my pdoc is leaving the state. Sad She's so awesome. I hope I can find someone just as wonderful.

07/13/2010 04:26 PM
jenigood1
jenigood1  

07/13/2010 05:10 PM
twegren
twegren  

I take 300mg of effexor along with clonazepam and risperidone and do quite well for the most part. I have been on it for 2 years now. I had trouble when I first started with sleep being my best friend as well as headaches(which I never get)but that went away after a few weeks. I was in hospital when all my meds were changed too so that could have made the difference for me.

As was said before though meds effect everyone differently. I'm about to take a journey into a bit of a med change to add to what I already take. I'll cross my fingers for both of us.

I wish you well in your journey.

Tracy

07/13/2010 09:28 PM
Goatman

I took effexor a couple of years ago, and was med resistant to it, unfortunately.

07/13/2010 09:46 PM
beautifulmind
beautifulmind  

I don't have any personal experience with effexor but I know many people that it works and they like it so don't give up and keep us posted! Hugs!!

08/08/2010 09:50 AM
mmm3
mmm3  

Thank you all for the supportive responses. I am grateful for Effexor and Lamictal. I feel better than I have all summer. I'm not perfect (is anyone?), but at least I look forward to the day. I've been trying to get more sleep; I always forget that I need that to function. I'm meditating on the idea of getting more exercise; I haven't been getting enough since my job changed last spring. Plus I've been cleaning my house more. Now if I could just get more organized.

I'm happy this Effexor thread is on here so that others can read about our experiences.

We are approaching a change in seasons, so I want to send out blessings and mental fortitude to all. We can get through this together. Peace, mmm3

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved