MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/09/2010 08:14 AM

Lamictal teeth-clenching and Lorazepam

pitifulrattle
pitifulrattle  

Hi everyone,

I've been taking Lamictal (50 mg/day) for over a month now. I have had two side effects so far: extremely vivid and bizarre dreams, and jaw/teeth clenching.

I went to my pdoc yesterday and he upped my Lamictal dosage to 75 mg/day. He also prescribed Lorazepam for the bad dreams and the jaw clenching. He says I need to take this every night for the next 5 nights, followed by taking it every other night, and then again every third night until it is not necessary.

Has this treatment worked for anyone else? For those who have taken this combination, is there anything I should look forward to (positive or negative)? Anything else that may help the clenching? It's not terrible, but I don't want it to get worse.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

-C

04/09/2010 08:39 AM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have heard of the jaw clenching from the Lamictal. Many people on here have made that same complaint, did your pdoc explain it could be from that before he upped your dose? Good Luck! Wink

04/09/2010 08:45 AM
Lrose35
Lrose35  

I have the problem of teeth clenching still because now it has become a habit. I have been on Lamictal for several months. I take Klonopin and it hasnt helped with the teeth clenching.

04/09/2010 10:18 AM
HoustonCowboy

I have been taking Lamictal 200mg and I had no idea it was the lamictal. My Pdoc just increased my Lamictal to 250mg. I started taking 0.5mg Clonazepam for sleep, two weeks ago (and I have been sleeping like a baby) and I have stopped clenching my teeth. My anxiety has subsided, also. I can't tell you how nice it is to not sit here clenching my teeth 24 hours a day. As for the Lorazepam, I still take it "only" if I have a serious panic attack and it also stops the clenching.

04/09/2010 04:45 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hmmm. I clench my teeth, but didn't connect it with the Lamictal. I take 300 mg of it now. I thought the teeth clenching was from the dexedrine I take to keep me awake during the day. It's probably a combination of both. I have no experience with Lorazepam, actually, I've never heard of it, but I wish you luck with it. I will have to mention this to my pdoc the next time I see him. Thanks for sharing. You learn something new every day!!

04/09/2010 05:14 PM
dizzyb
dizzyb  
VIP Member

I've been on Lamictal for over 3 years now and in that time my dentist has constantly gone on at me about my teeth clenching. He wanted me to wear a mouth guard at night. Perhaps the Lamictal is the cause. I have to keep opening my mouth to relax my jaw. Hmm, interesting, will speak to pdoc. Also about sleep meds, the ones I have make me silly and tired but wear off after about 3 hours. As the sleep deprivation queen, I need to take some advice here and throw the names at my pdoc. Actually, he'll just bat right back cos he's a genius, one of the best in the country. But he can give me something else, I'm sure. And hopefully will ease the teeth clenching too. Here's hoping! Bridget Smile

04/09/2010 07:59 PM
HoustonCowboy

I called my pdoc after posting my experience with Lamictal and teeth clenching. According to my pdoc, there have been reports of gum disease, loss of tooth enamel, and teeth clenching. He stated that benzodiazapines (Clonazepam and Lorazepam) have shown to be effective in reducing teeth clenching. I told him that my teeth clenching stopped after starting the Clonazepam and he said that 3 other patients have reported the same results.

I can tell you that clonazepam has replaced my ambien, and I no longer have racing thoughts when I go to bed.

04/09/2010 08:51 PM
MontyShift
MontyShiftPosts: 58

Glad you found a solution. I'm on the same as you and I have had some teeth clenching. I started 0.5 clonazepam daily and it's helped quite a bit. However, sometimes it's not enough to help with my sleep.

04/09/2010 11:32 PM
Tommy100
Tommy100  

I clench my teeth a lot in the day..

04/13/2010 11:15 AM
pitifulrattle
pitifulrattle  

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved