MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/08/2010 07:48 AM

What meds (not hypnotics) helped you with sleep?

theGreyCatt
theGreyCattPosts: 275

Hi, I was wondering what meds may have helped any of you with insomnia. I'm on Lithium and Lamictal which have worked wonders for my mood, but the mixture keeps me up all night (take those meds in the morning)

I'm trying Neurontin at night (only a couple days so far), but I was wondering what meds may have worked for you for sleep. I'm just curious, not planning on switching anything around yet.

Oh, also, I can't take Ambien or other hypnotics because I get addicted to them and have abused them. So, I am asking about other sorts of meds.

Thanks!

01/08/2010 08:05 AM
pirateprincess421
pirateprincess421  
VIP Member

I take trazadone and clonapin at night. The ripserdal helps, but I don't think it's makes me as sleepy as the other two.

01/08/2010 08:15 AM
puppylover
puppylover  

Trazadone mixed with my seraquel does it for me

01/08/2010 08:23 AM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Zyprexa works for me the only side effect it it make me hungry more than is normal for me. I'm going to talk to my doc and see what else is available. I have Trazadone but I don't know if I can take it with my current meds.

peace & hugs

Rick

01/08/2010 08:48 AM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Have you ever tried Melatonin it's a natural suppliment you can get at a health food store it works for many ailments but the most common I have heard people rave about are help with sleep and migraines/headaches. I want to try it myself. I have heard a tremendous amount of feedback ok it and it's natural so it couldn't hurt to try. Best of luck! Hugs, Stacey

01/08/2010 01:13 PM
jenigood1
jenigood1  

I take Trazodone too, and I know it works; when I forget to take it, I don't sleep! (That's how I know I didn't take it.) Rick, ask your pdoc if you can take it with your meds; I don't think it has any bad interactions that I've heard of with bipolar meds. I take Abilify, Cymbalta, Lamictal and Vivanse and it's fine with all of those. You can probably find out with a call. Hope it - or the melatonin - helps you! Jeni

(If all else fails, stare at the sleepy duck until you start yawning; lol)

01/09/2010 12:55 AM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I'll call her on Tuesday when she gets in. The pharmacist might be able to help too as far as interactions.

01/09/2010 01:39 AM
Skye35
Skye35  

Melatonin sounds interesting and worth the try. Are there any drug interactions to worry about? I worry I will get addicted to the zolpidem tartrate(ambien) that I take at night.

01/09/2010 01:39 AM
Skye35
Skye35  

I love the sleepy duck!!! So cute!

01/09/2010 05:24 AM
Lrose35
Lrose35  

Ok, I yawned at the sleepy duck! LOL I take Klonopin to help me sleep. Although you might have a problem with that one if you get addicted to meds because it is a Benzo. Although I have heard it has the least addictive rate. But that may just be wishful thinking on my part.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved