MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/30/2009 02:04 PM

I am new here.

sheselectric

Hello, I am new to this community. I hope to find here people who understand what I go through and do not judge me.

I was diagnosed BP-II within the last year, but I've only come to embrace and believe in the diagnosis recently. I have told one person other than my husband of my diagnosis and this person has since seemingly removed herself from my life. I am afraid to tell my family or anyone else I know. The stereotypes and misunderstanding surrounding bipolar disorder are very saddening and distressing to me.

I am currently unmedicated and searching for the right drugs. I have been through several in the past two years, during which time I was misdiagnosed with depression. The medications have been very hard on me, and I'm not looking forward to experimenting further.

I am glad I have found this resource and I look forward to interacting with other members.

10/30/2009 02:12 PM
Fierosmom

sheselectric: Welcome to the group! I think you will find this group very supportive. I'm sorry that you have had a bad experience with medication and ignorance from people. Feel free to ask and questions you may have. Again Welcome! Beth

10/30/2009 02:29 PM
mixma
mixma  
VIP Member

Hi and welcome to the group. I know what you mean about the stigma. There are very few people I've told other than my husband and kids for that very reason. The unknown is scary and many people can't be bothered to educate themselves. This is a great group with many supportive people. I'm looking forward to getting to know you better.

Tracey

10/30/2009 04:28 PM
keith9999
keith9999Posts: 6

Hi and welcome... I was misdiagnosed with depression for a while too and finally was diagnosed with Bipolar II this past year. I haven't told anyone outside of my family... I think I would but still am afraid of the reaction you had from telling someone. I hope you're doing well and are able to get the right meds soon. Take care.

10/30/2009 06:17 PM
sheselectric

Thank you for the warm welcome. It's good to be here.Smile

10/30/2009 06:32 PM
jenigood1
jenigood1  

Hi! I love your profile name and picture - makes me want to do the Electric Slide! (The best line dance I know; the only line dance I know.)

So glad you have found us! You'll find so many people here who understand exactly what you're going through - and not a judgemental one in the bunch! (I've never heard anyone judge anyone here, and I've been on almost every day since April.)

Best of luck to you on your med search! Do you have a good psychiatrist (or psych. nurse practitioner) who knows a lot about bipolar meds and how they work together? (If you were on antidepressants by themselves for your bipolar, that's probably why you had a bad experience. They can cause mania, depression, or mixed episodes.) Once you're on a mood stabilizer, perhaps in combination with other meds, you should start feeling better I hope the first med combo you try is the one that works for you! Sometimes it takes time to find the right ones so be patient and keep experimenting! You'll get there! Glad you're here with us - Jeni

10/30/2009 09:54 PM
Tommy100
Tommy100  

Welcome! You electricshe! Laughing you wont be alone on this forum.

Tom.

10/31/2009 07:28 AM
kylisa41
kylisa41  

Hi there and welcome to this group.

10/31/2009 08:59 AM
bookgirl
bookgirl  

Hi sheselectric: I too recently joined this group looking for people with like experiences. One of the problems with Bipolar II is that it is so isolating due to the stigma you mention. It also takes very understanding friends because of the often erratic behavior caused by mood swings (I am an ultrarapid cycler, so I know I am hard to know). Loneliness is one of my biggest problems with coping. I do get comfort from coming to these pages. I hope you do too.

11/03/2009 11:28 PM
cinemacraze
cinemacraze  

I feel very jealous of those of you who already have husbands and wives who are so supportive. I'm 19 and was just diagnosed and it's extremely frightening going to college with Bipolar disorder. Who should I tell and how to cope with it during a major turning point in my life.

When I am ready to start dating how and when can I tell them I'm bipolar? How do I explain to them what they are getting themselves into... *sigh* I envy all of you who have such a strong support system.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved