MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/22/2009 03:03 AM

The Cost of Bipolar Medications!

SandiJ
SandiJ  

Hi! My name is SandiJ and I have finally found medications that work for me, they are Lamictal,

Lexapro,Xanax and Ambien CR.

My real problem has to do with how costly these drugs are, even with insurance, ouch! I think about changing medications, but am afraid too, because it took soooooooo many years of trial and error to come up with medications that seem to work for me, the majority of the time.

I have tried to switch from Lexapro to Celexa, and I was losing it! I was very aggetated, and my mood were swing so bladly that I called my doctor and told him I needed to get back on lexapro.

The only reason I even attempted too change my medication was because my insurance suggested it, and I wanted to bring the cost of my medications down. When I purchase my medications each month they cost me around $450.00. The cost of a car payment!

I work all the time, pay to have insurance, and find that I can not afford to pay all the necessary costs of living, because my medical bills are so costly!

The cost of the pdoc, meds, regular medical check-ups are overwhelming, and it makes me want to stop using my meds, even though I know I am a basket case without them! I am very disturbed by this fact, as I want to be a useful and productive citizen.

If you have any suggestions please let me know. I went to MHMR, and they at least got me in to see a Pdoc, yet I still have to pay 10% of the doctors bill, and then the costs of my medications.

Another huge problem we seem to face has to do with the fact that the insurance companies do not adequatly cover people who have mental illness.

What can we do to make the cost of our drugs, and treatment affordable?

How many people have not been adequately diagnosed or treated for bipolar disorder. Doctors try medications through a hit or miss process, and the meds often take a month before the person even knows if it is working, and then they have to go on to the next drug if they are unresponsive, costing the person even more!

How much do we have to pay, and how much time do we have to lose trying to find the right diagnosis, as well as a doctor that understands the illness and how to treat it properly?

One other thing, I know that the drug companies spend millions and billions on advertisements for drugs, on the TV, radio, magazines and in doctors offices supplying pens, pads of paper, kleenex boxes, bags and many other items that advertise there drugs. I believe that the drug companies should inform the doctors about the medications, and save costs on advertising, to the general public, in order to bring the cost of these necessary medications down!

Please let me know if you have any good suggestions. I would appreciate your imput!

We can make a difference if we work together!!!!!!!!

SandiJBlink

06/22/2009 05:25 AM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

You may want to check out national prescription programs offered by various drug manufacturers as well as others like http://www.needymeds.org/

You may also want to ask your pdoc for samples. Some pdocs provide them for clients upon request.

Hope this helps!

06/22/2009 11:23 PM
SandiJ
SandiJ  

Thanks soooooooooooooooo much for the website! I will check it out. SandiJ

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved