MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/16/2009 01:01 PM

Correct diagnosis?(page 3)

neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

Thanks, Ally! Smile

Given your past experiences, I don't blame you at all for avoiding SSRIs.

I've been fortunate that Fluoxetine has worked well for me. Then again, I am on 3 mood stabilizers, so that could explain why.

03/19/2009 09:31 AM
Lynz

20 days to go until my pdoc appt for my assessment & hopefully diagnosis. I had been a bit better with anxiety but now feel all tense at the prospect of being able to get over to him the struggle I have been & am going through.

Do you think when he said, "Lamotrigine is a mood stabiliser & therefore if you do have a diagnosis of bipolar affective disorder this may be the reason why Lamotrigine has stabilised you." means he thinks I do have it or not???

03/19/2009 09:46 AM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

Lynz,

I'm not a pdoc, but his comment suggests to me that he suspects bipolar. If you have bipolar, you'll notice a small or considerable difference on Lamotrigine. If you don't, it either means you're not bipolar or this med isn't the right mood stabilizer for you.

Post edited by: neondreams, at: 03/19/2009 09:47

03/19/2009 12:09 PM
Lynz

Thanks for your reply neon. This is what I can't help thinking all the time although I have heard Lamotrigine is used as an add on to antidepressants for unipolar depression too.

03/19/2009 12:59 PM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

Yes, you're correct. It's common for Lamotrigine and other mood stabilizers like Abilify to be added to an anti-depressant like Wellbutrin. One of the reasons why Lamotrigine is used as an add on in this way is because of its' anti-depressant qualities.

Post edited by: neondreams, at: 03/19/2009 13:01

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 3 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved