MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/29/2011 04:28 PM

Recent diagnosis & new to site. (:

christennash

I'm so glad I found this website. I don't talk to my family about how I feel or about my illnesses and my girlfriend has come to a point where she doesn't believe I was diagnosed with anything. It's nice and comforting to know that I have an online community that I can vent and express emotions and concerns to, and it feels even better to know whether it be venting, asking, or just writing, my words will be read and responded to. Thank you all <3

Post edited by: christennash, at: 06/29/2011 04:29 PM

06/29/2011 05:15 PM
Catbaloo
CatbalooPosts: 6829
VIP Member

That's what we're hear for: to listen to each other and share experiences.

Welcome to the group.

06/29/2011 05:53 PM
fruitymum
fruitymum  

This is the one place I feel I dont have to worry about being questioned, believed and most important to me Im not judged, just understood. Hi Wink

06/29/2011 05:57 PM
jenigood1
jenigood1  

Welcome, Christennash!

It's hard when you think nobody will listen and understand - and it's even worse when you're right - and they don't understand!

Your girlfriend's denial may be because she just doesn't want you to be ill; if you don't really have it and you just "snap out of it" the problem will go away, right? The problem with this kind of attitude is that it's not helping you to feel validated or supporting your efforts to get better. If you "don't have" something, how can you treat it??

I'm writing this because my family reacted that way, further remarking that if I just "got off the drugs" ("the drugs" being my medication!) I would "get over it". I think my son (24) still believes this, or some version of it; my daughter (22) says, "Oh, I know you're crazy, Mom." ?!?! Oh, well, insulting validation is better than none, I guess.

Maybe your pdoc will be able to talk to or write a brief letter to your GF about how your diagnosis was reached and what it all means. If she's willing to listen and learn more about this disorder, she may be more comfortable accepting it. After all, it's a part of you - but not the only part! You are many things besides bipolar.

Blessings to both of you as you work with this together...Jeni

06/29/2011 06:01 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Yes, we are here to talk with. I'm so glad you joined. Everyone is super nice and very helpful. It's a nice place to let your feelings out without worrying about what other people think of you. I hope you enjoy it here. Welcome to the group!

06/29/2011 06:50 PM
redphoenix
redphoenix  
VIP Member

Welcome to the group. Everyone here is great and give a lot of support. You will like it here.

06/29/2011 07:16 PM
christennash

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I've done nothing but browse and read the forums for hours now, lol. And redphoenix, I think being on here and reading about other people with the disorder is becoming an obsession way too quickly (:

06/30/2011 05:09 AM
mem4809

Welcome! I have really found so much warmth and support from this group and it is so helpful to have an outlet and people who understand! When I first joined this group I was a bit obsessive too--LOL--but that's cooled down a bit but I enjoy checking in daily!

06/30/2011 05:56 AM
christennash

candjdog, I have been surfing the site all night lol. I've been kept awake by emotional distress from a bad experience last night. I was having a mixed episode and rapid cycling at the same time, and because of a trigger I just broke down completely Sad

06/30/2011 06:11 AM
mem4809

Sorry to hear that. When I first joined the site I was having 4 episodes a day with mixed states. There is hope as now I am finally stable. Those mixed states are the worst. I hope you let your doctor know about them so that maybe you can change our meds' dosage or something.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved