MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/23/2011 11:05 AM

Bipolar II Vegas Style

edgeman01

Hi everyone, I'm John and I found out in my forties that I have this disorder. Last weekend was really rough. Last about 4 days. Lately, I've been feeling that I'm the only person in Vegas with this thing.

I've been trying to fight the depression lately. Is there anyone else in Vegas in this group?

Thanks

05/23/2011 07:27 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Sorry, I'm from California. I'm really sorry you are struggling with depression. Call your psychiatrist to see if you can get a medication adjustment. That might help you out. You are definitely not the only person in Vegas with bipolar. I'm sure there are lots of people. Have you looked into a live support group? NAMI or the DBSA have support groups in cities and towns. You should look them up and see if they have one near you! I hope you can feel better soon. I'm glad you are reaching out. Welcome to the group!

05/23/2011 07:28 PM
hedap

Hi John,

Not in Vegas. I can sympathise though. I didn't get a diagnosis until middle age. Sorry the last few days have been rough for you. I spend a lot of time with depression also. If you are reaching out because you need a local support group,you mightalso check the county's mental health main center. They will have some info for you.

It's good that you're recognizing when depression hits. For most of my life I just accepted depression bc anti-d's just didn't work for me. Now I know I don't have to live like that all the time and neither do you. Sometimes a change in meds can really help.

Anyway, thats my experience, but Im a work in progress.

heather

Post edited by: hedap, at: 05/23/2011 07:29 PM

Post edited by: hedap, at: 05/23/2011 07:31 PM

05/24/2011 05:23 AM
InvisibleMe
InvisibleMe  

Welcome to the group John! I'm not from Vegas, but I too was diagnosed in my 40s (1.5 years ago) after 20+ years being diagnosed as depressed and ADHD. I'm sorry you're going through this. NAMI and DBSA are pretty active like Joy said, so you definitely might want to look up these two groups in your area. You can also post here any time.

05/24/2011 01:17 PM
mem5462

Welcome to group

Have you tried to find out about local support groups from clinics/hospitals in your area.

There are also Jewish and Christian organizations that know of groups.

05/30/2011 05:01 PM
edgeman01

thanks for the replies. So far, I've only found 1 group here in Vegas. Since I work swing shift, I'm unable to attend. But, I'm sure there are more out there. Felling much better the last few days.

05/31/2011 02:04 AM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Welcome to the group John,

I was diagnosed at 40 with BPII,GAD, and treatment resistant depression. I only have one two groups in my area and they are NAMI groups. Both I have travel 20 minutes and 45 minutes. So I don't go to them. I'm on the east coast. I get most of my support here, and have found the groups here the most positive and beneficial groups on he internet. This site is also the only one that has a BPII group. I hope you find something in your area.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved