MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/27/2010 07:00 AM

Bad Times University Hospital

zevB3K

Hello, my name is Jeff. I've struggled with mental illness my whole life. Some members of my family suffer as well, some diagnosed, and some not. I have had multiple diagnosis, and have tried multiple treatments...both chemical and behavioral. Like everyone, I've had some little successes, and lots of failures. 40+ drugs worth of failures. I have just left the MD/IOP program at Cleveland's University Hospital. I am an "ask me anything" kind of guy, but as you can tell I'm also given to talking way too much. I am open to suggestions and advice.

07/27/2010 08:11 AM
skullhappy
skullhappy  

I'm sorry, but I'm unclear: advice on what?

I am saddened to hear that you have had to go through so many meds without relief. Perhaps a new pdoc?

07/27/2010 08:18 AM
ikhwan
ikhwan  

Hello Jeff Smile

Welcome to the group, looks like you'll fit right in Tongue Don't be sorry about talking at length; that's a core symptom of mania/hypomania and here you can do as much talking as you like.

07/27/2010 08:19 AM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I too have been through about 40 meds, we started to recycle last year using different doses after going off all meds for about 2 months. I'm pretty stable now with a few tweaks here and there. I still have my bad days but not as often as they used to be.

Welcome to the group I hope you find it as useful as I have.

07/27/2010 09:23 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Welcome to the group!1 I'm glad you have found us. I think you will like it here. I'm sorry you have had so many diagnoses. They can't pin it down to one? I'm also sorry you can't seem to find your medication combination. Keep trying, don't give up. You will fit right in here and find a lot of support by caring individuals. I look forward to getting to know you better.

07/27/2010 10:00 AM
Moonbaby
Moonbaby  

Welcome! Lots of caring, supportive people on this site. I, too, have had to go through many drugs to the point of feeling like some kind of experiment rather than a patient. Finally have a combo of drugs that I feel pretty stable on--keep working with your pdoc. I hope it won't be much longer before the right combo is found for you. Great to have you here. Lots of hugs,

07/27/2010 10:06 AM
hedap

Jeff,

Welcome and be hopeful that they'll get the combination right soon. Many people on this board have gone through the same things. So hang in there and talk all you want. hedap xxx

07/28/2010 04:05 PM
jenigood1
jenigood1  

Hi, Jeff! Welcome!

Boy, you think you talk a lot? Just wait till you get a load of us! (Well, some of u,s anyway)

I hope you find your med combo soon...Maybe even some of the ones you've tried, in different combinations, might work for you. I searched for years, only tried about a dozen or two, but I was lucky. I got my "magic" med mix four years ago in the hospital and I've been successfully stable ever since. Life is better than I could ever have believed, and that's not just due to the meds, but I know it would be a lot harder without them! You'll get there, I have faith in you. I have faith in God, too, and He always comes through, just not exactly when and how we expect it.

Glad you're here, Jeff...make yourself at home!

07/28/2010 06:26 PM
FatherKarras
FatherKarras  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi Jeff, and welcome to the group. You will find a lot of caring support. I look forward to hearing more of your story when you're ready to tell it. Smile

07/28/2010 08:45 PM
Spiderwoman
Spiderwoman  

Hi Jeff, welcome to our group.

I've also been struggling with mental illness with my entire life. I completely understand what you're going through with the "meds game" I call it. I myself have also taken almost *everything* out there, and I do mean EVERYTHING. It was very frustrating. So I left my last pdoc and ventured to a new one that was at my therapist's office. He quickly put me on older [I call them old skool] meds because obviously the new ones don't work on me. Well, as far as moodstabilizers go. So I have been seeing him for about a year or so and I have been doing somewhat well. My mood feels sorta stable, with some rapid cycling and mixed states here and there. But at least I'm not swinging wide on the up or the down side. My point is this, maybe ask your doctor about some older meds to try? If you're like me, and you've tried just about everything out there, you need a new plan. Luckily, my pdoc recognized that and I have had some success with older medications. On that note, I do not recommend Halidol though. I had a bad experience with it and the side effects were terrible; when I went off it I got very, very sick.

I hope you can talk to your pdoc soon and get started on something that will help you feel better. Take care and please do keep us posted. Feel free to PM [private message] me any time if you'd like someone to talk to! Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved