MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/18/2010 10:45 AM

Why won't they listen? oops, I'm NEW, sorry!

NoMreW8nC
NoMreW8nC  

Hello,

My name is Terri and like my profile says, I'm on a mission. My daughter is going to be 13 in a few months and I KNOW she's bipolar. Her therapist & doctor keep telling me she's not, it's just ADHD. Well I know a few people who's kids are ADHD/ADD and they don't act like my daughter. My step-daughter has every symptom of ADHD and doesn't act like my daughter, my daughter, Amanda, only has 2 ADHD symptoms but all of the BP II & Rapid Cycling...But I'm wrong..according to her therapist.

I'm hoping to connect with other parents going through this or even other tweens/teens who are currently going through this rough time and maybe share your stories with me. Thanks for your time.

Terri

04/18/2010 11:29 AM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

There is a Parents of Bipolars group here on MDJ. You might find better support there. If I were you, I'd take her to a new psych and just list her symptoms. Let them come to their own conclusion.

04/18/2010 11:36 AM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Lisa beat me to the punch. I was going to tell you exactly what she just said. Wink

Good luck!

04/18/2010 07:14 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

04/19/2010 05:43 PM
jenigood1
jenigood1  

Welcome, Terri! Love your profile name!

My 21-year-old daughter Sara exhibits some Rapid Cycling bipolar symptoms, too: Periods of high energy that just exhaust me, then times when she'll sleep all day; irritability and a fast temper trigger...she said the pdocs (psychiatrists) in her Air Force Base told her it was just anger. I'm not sure I agree with them; she does have a lot of legitimate anger, having been raised by a bipolar mom and an abusive father, but that doesn't seem to explain the big ups and downs!

I'd look for a pdoc that specializes in bipolar and/or children and teens, and I'm also wondering if they've tried your daughter on any ADD meds? That's one way to tell, because if a stimulant med calms her down, she probably has ADD: if it "speeds" her up, she probably doesn't...but it's possible, even common, to have both, so an ADD diagnosis doesn't rule out bipolar.

Anyway, we're glad you're here!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved