MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/05/2010 11:32 AM

Hey everyone

whydoirocksohard

Hey everyone I'm a 22 year old guy and I live in the NYC metro area. I first started getting depressed around the age of 14 because this is around the time my parents began a 6 year long divorce. Basically since that time I don't really know how it feels to not be depressed on a certain level... atleast not for any extended period of time. Around the age of 19 or so I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 and have been on and off meds... I am currently off them. I would say I have a mild case of the disorder but it can become difficult to cope with when coupled with some of the stuff I had to go through during my parents divorce. My pattern is basically usually depressed with brief periods of feeling "normal" MAYBE hypomanic (which I dont mind at all).

Its hard for me to stay on the meds because I will either get really depressed and not feel like taking them or I will feel better and not feel like taking them for different reasons. I also like to tell myself that I don't have BPD and if I just "man up" I can get through it without their help. I am often able to do this and stand on my own 2 feet for months at a time but eventually it all crumbles and I am left where I started. Realizing that pattern and the fact that it runs in my family I have no doubt that I do in fact have some sort of chemical imbalance and as a sign myself starting to take it seriously I am coming here.

Thanks for reading.

Laughing

01/05/2010 12:01 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Welcome to the group! I am glad you joined us. Bipolar is nothing to be ashamed of, you dont need to man up! Wink You do need to take your meds if you want to feel less symptomatic though. If you werent feeling right its because you werent taking the right ones yet, this disorder is all about trial and error to find the right meds that suit you. We are all different so what works for one may not work for the other. Work closely with your pdoc and try to get a good med combo going. You must be on a mood stab because an anti depress alone will induce a hypomanic episode and possibly even severe depression in Bipolar patients. Do you also suffer from Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)? They are two seperate disorders so I didnt know if you suffered from both or used the abbreviation mistakenly. I hope you like it here and find the support your need. Everyone here is super supportive, and you will be sure to meet alot of great new friends along the way. Keep posting. Stacey Wink

01/05/2010 01:25 PM
dizzyb
dizzyb  
VIP Member

Welcome to the group Smile You've come to a great place to come to terms with your condition, and get help and input from others in the same boat. This is a great bunch of people who really care, who will give input and advice .. or just listen.

MissStacey pretty much said it meds-wise Wink

so I encourage you to keep posting and enjoy your time here. Hugs, Bridget Smile

01/05/2010 01:34 PM
jenigood1
jenigood1  

Hi, Rock So Hard! Welcome!

I have to agree with Stacey about taking meds - this is a chemical imbalance we have, and if they aren't working the way you want there are other combinations to try until you find the one that makes you feel in control of your moods. Know that the urge to quit taking your meds - for either reason - is a very common symptom of BP II (probably BP, too) and, in fact, one that can be controlled with meds. If you stick with what works for you, and resist the compulsion to quit, you'll feel so good about having no big highs or lows that you won't miis the hypomania at all! I don't. It's a great feeling to be "regular" - and it stays with you if you stay on the meds. Glad to have you here - keep posting! Jeni

01/05/2010 09:36 PM
whydoirocksohard

Thanks for the kind words.

Yup I meant Bipolar Disorder when I said BPD. Yeah I understand medicating what we have is so hit or miss and it doesn't help that I have little patience. Thanks for your advice on taking them... its nice to hear someone who is more "in my shoes" tell me I should be takin' them instead of my doctor.

01/05/2010 09:47 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Its always nice talking to people that can relate, you will get alot of support here. Keep posting and we will be here for you! Hang in there. Wink

01/06/2010 03:37 AM
Tommy100
Tommy100  

Elo! Welcome. Laughing

01/06/2010 03:41 AM
Tommy100
Tommy100  

Elo! Welcome. Laughing

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved