MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/11/2009 07:27 PM

MD won't release me to work. :(

yippeeskippee
yippeeskippee  

I had my physical and everything like I was supposed to for my new job, and MOST MD's around here would have let me explain the situation with the BP diagnosis and signed off for me to work without a problem. Not THIS MD!!! He wants a signed letter from my pdoc, (he said the NP would be OK, but was hesitant) that clearly outlines my mental fitness for employment. Not only that, but it couldn't be a "Tonya can go back to work on this day" type of letter. The way he described it he needs a NASA level clearance letter of mental fitness to work. Grrrrr....Fine. I call my pdoc's office and guess what? They closed at noon today. I needed that letter TODAY because they had my on the schedule for the weekend. Now, not only can I not work until then, I really feel defective for the first time since being diagnosed because of how that MD went on about what he needed in this letter. Of course, my employer can withdraw the job offer because I didn't pass the damned physical. I kind of wish I would have lied when the MD asked me what meds I was on. I should have said "none" but I'm too damned honest. For the first time I am really aware of how "sick" I am. I mean, I know I have my miserable days, moments, whatever, but our we THAT dangerous? That MD kept saying that "...to ensure you're not a DANGER and are capable of performing the duties of the job..." I told him the biggest danger I would be is breaking down and crying in the corner or calling in too much, but I swear to you he looked at me like I was a freak. I know our perceptions can be screwy, but I'm reall feelin' this one. Thanks for letting me rant.

Tonya

09/11/2009 07:31 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

First of all I am glad to still see you online!!! I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. As if we dont already know we have certain issues but to have it thrown in your face like that and risk losing this job. That sucks! I totally feel for you. I always list my meds too no matter what and sometimes wonder if I should but really its part of us. Good or bad. I really hope and will pray for you that you get what you need and dont lose this job I know what it meant to you. Keep us posted if you can. Big Big Hugs Stacey Smile

09/11/2009 07:40 PM
yippeeskippee
yippeeskippee  

Thanks! I really expected to be shut down by now, but am glad I'm not. Thank you for the encouragement, I need it!

09/12/2009 01:48 PM
twosides

The MD should of taking the bipolar diagnosis and relized that you were on meds and that your were stable because of it. It sounds like to me that he has a problem with your illness and looking for any excuse to keep you from working. I guess what i am getting at is he plain things your crazy. good luck.

09/12/2009 03:45 PM
yippeeskippee
yippeeskippee  

I feel the same way. He looked at me like I was crazy.

09/12/2009 05:50 PM
SpazyJess
SpazyJess  
VIP Member

I'm sorry you're going through that Tonya. I think you did the right thing. That doc is either being beaurocratic or is being a total ass.

I myself sometimes want to lie to other doc's about my diagnosis and meds I take. In my case, there may be potential consequences attached if I lie. What I hate in telling the truth sometimes is risking getting the stigma reaction. Luckily that hasn't happened knock on wood!

09/12/2009 05:51 PM
SpazyJess
SpazyJess  
VIP Member

To add onto that, you're being responsible about your disorder so I hope that weighs in your favor. Let us know how that goes if you don't mind.

09/12/2009 06:30 PM
yippeeskippee
yippeeskippee  

Sure will! I'm still trying to shake the "look" I received. That is the first time someone has made me feel like a weirdo. I didn't much care for it.

09/13/2009 06:49 PM
Stormy911

So sorry for you Tonya, I can think of what my tdoc had told me once about employment, and being discriminated against. The American Disablities Act. Your employer must follow the rules no discrimination or getting rid of you for your disability, But, com'on, Your not bailing out, Your trying for the job. And if things were'nt tough enough, and now these non-sensitive providers are cumbersome hurdles! Give us a Break! I've felt what you said about disclosure of disability and medications. Your sinking gut feeling!! But, I too am an honest person. I disclosed my information. I am so sorry for your experience, I really have no patience for ignorance or what the media has made us out to be!!!

Creating this scare. But, they say people fear what they don't understand!!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved