MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/29/2009 12:25 PM

How do you convince someone

Wes
Wes  

Hi all, I know it's probably not worth asking, but I'm at my wits end.

How do you convince someone that you won't do the things you did when you were manic and not on meds (and in my case did not even know I was bipolar). I basically broke up with someone twice before I found out I was bipolar, and both times I went back to my Ex (who is the worst person in the world for me).

I've been trying to help her understand what it's like, and how, now with medication and information, I can start to see the signs early. There is no way I could be with my ex, she was just a familiar face when I was on the verge of suicide. I'm beginning to think this person is just not comfortable being with a Bipolar person. Bleh, anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.

06/29/2009 01:01 PM
SpazyJess
SpazyJess  
VIP Member

No question is not worth asking hon.

In my opinion, if a person really cares about you and knows things are different now that you're taking responsibility for your Bipolar disorder by taking meds per example, that person will stick with you thick and thin. If not, that person is not worth your time.

And honestly the meds (not that I'm antimeds), won't always control all of the symptoms so you may be slightly symptomatic. If that's the case, knowing how to deal with it is key. This group is one of many outlets to turn to. This group is considered part of a support system. Coping mechanisms help too (listening to music, writing, etc--whatever that is healthy and works for you). And if you can afford it and think it would help, therapy can help too.

Post edited by: SpazyJess, at: 06/29/2009 01:02 PM

06/29/2009 01:03 PM
mixma
mixma  
VIP Member

Hi Wes,

This may not be what you want to hear but I need to say it anyway. Going into a manic state is always a possibility...even with meds. You really can't promise someone it won't happen again. You may not be able to keep that promise. The meds can definitely help stabilize you but unfortunately bipolar is still unpredictable. I can't say much more than that. Good luck.

Tracey

LOL Jessy. When I started this message there hadn't been any other responses. Silly

Post edited by: mixma, at: 06/29/2009 01:04 PM

06/29/2009 01:12 PM
SpazyJess
SpazyJess  
VIP Member

That's alright Tracey, it happens sometimesWink

06/29/2009 02:05 PM
Wes
Wes  

Thanks ya'll. Yes, the one thing she keeps coming back to is "I need Stability in my life wes!" To which I respond "If you need stability, I'll buy you a table! I may not be perfect for that, but I have more love, compassion and understanding than I know what to do with."

She didn't think appreciate my humor (or if she did she did not admit it).

The good part about all this is I can feel my panic and energy levels trying to rise, but I'm still about to remain centered (for the most part). I'm on day 10 of meds, 900mg Li since last Thursday.

06/29/2009 02:06 PM
sethwindsor
sethwindsorPosts: 26

yeah. if i had a dime for every time my wife told me she wanted ME to be the 'stable' one . . . .

06/29/2009 02:43 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I agree with the others, you can go on your meds and remain stable for sometime but there is always a chance of having an episode. If you are taking your meds the way you are supposed to the episodes may not be what they were like when you werent on meds so that should at least shine some light of hope. You have to worry about yourself and if people truly care about you they will be there to support you no matter what.

06/29/2009 05:32 PM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Wes - This may be difficult to hear, but she has to do what is right for her. What is right for her, may not be what you want. She may not be ready to enter a relationship with someone who has a lifelong medical condition.

06/29/2009 05:38 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I wouldnt give up hope, negativity from people does not help anyone. Only you know your situation fully. You obviously have to be realistic so just take it day by day. Good Luck!

06/30/2009 11:41 AM
sasshley

give her the book called loving someone with bipolar disorder. it will be very beneficial.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved