MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/02/2009 01:20 PM

Confused newbie needs some help/advice

hldewar
hldewar  

When I've talked to docs about the "mania" side of bipolar they give me a list that I don't think fits me. The only manic thing I deal with is hypersexuality. I'm usually a sweet even-tempered person. When I get pissed off though, I REALLY GET PISSED OFF! There is no middle ground. Is this considered mania?

I thought mania was supposed to make you feel good? Like you can conquor the world and get tons of work done at once and you spend more money than you have and you can't sleep. I don't have those "symptoms."

I'm confused.

I do have mood swings on a daily basis. Sometimes my mood will change from hour to hour. I can control it at work for the most part but when I get home I snap. My hubby gets the brunt of most of it.

According to my family I have had these gigantic mood swings since I was little. Either sweet girl or "GO TO HELL YOU *** *** ****" kind of person. No middle ground.

05/02/2009 02:32 PM
Archangel9

I'm pretty new to all this myself, so I can't be of great help to you, but my ex-girlfriend was similar and she was diagnosed with Hypomania. She didn't have the hypersexuality or spending problems, but there was no grey areas in her personality. It was all or nothing. Good or bad. She was pleasant or pissed off and couldn't let go of her anger. It always confused me because she didn't seem Bipolar from the descriptions I had read, but looking back I noticed how irritable she could get so quickly over little things which I think was her manic episodes and she could only focus on what was bothering her. Her depressive states were exactly as how any website or book describes them.

Don't know if this helps, but I hope it does.

05/02/2009 02:51 PM
hldewar
hldewar  

My husband wants to know if he can buy you a drink. Grin

I asked him to read your response to let him know that I'm not the only crazy b-witch out there.

05/02/2009 03:37 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

There are many symptoms to BP that dont have to include sexuality, drinking, drugging or spending too much money. You can be manic and just clean your house like a lunatic or just have crazy racing thoughts. You can even be BP without being suicidal. The other side is the depressive side. I can be depressed at times for no reason at all. BP is not always text book.

05/02/2009 03:45 PM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

Stacey brought up an excellent point. When I'm manic, I don't drink or do drugs. I also don't spend money (although I used to in the past and racked up $20,000 worth of credit card debt). I also don't become severely depressed except during the autumn/winter months or when I'm hearing voices. BP symptoms vary from person to person and what person A may experience, person B may not.

Post edited by: neondreams, at: 05/02/2009 03:51 PM

05/02/2009 03:52 PM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

I also wanted to mention that irritability can be a sign of mania. When I'm towards the middle of a manic episode, I become extremely agitated.

As for the rate your moods change, it sounds like you're a rapid cycler. I'm a rapid cycler as well and my moods change every hour and sometimes every minute.

Post edited by: neondreams, at: 05/02/2009 03:53 PM

05/02/2009 03:56 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Yes I agree I get very aggitated sometimes. The littlest things irk me and I usually hear voices more and have hallucinations when I am aggitated.

05/02/2009 04:54 PM
SpazyJess
SpazyJess  
VIP Member

I can relate to getting irritated when I'm manic.

Irritation as well as depression are my biggest struggles with this disorder. When I'm irritated, I try to avoid any triggers, but sometimes that is hard.

I'll have to say my favorite mania is the good feeling manic b/c I'm more sociable, confident, energetic, etc.

I'll take the good feeling manic over anything else that comes with the disorder. Fortunately, spending sprees aren't a problem with me and impulsive behavior is not as bad as it used to be, knock on wood!

Post edited by: SpazyJess, at: 05/02/2009 05:49 PM

05/02/2009 04:55 PM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

Stacy,

I also start to hear voices when I'm agitated or stressed. I hear them when I'm ill or exhausted as well.

05/02/2009 04:58 PM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

An ER doctor I saw a few months ago when I was having a psychotic episode told me that it isn't uncommon for people to hear voices when they are stressed, agitated or ill. I'm glad he mentioned that because it's something I never knew before.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved