MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/29/2009 02:14 PM

Lordy, Lordy don't let it be

mixma
mixma  
VIP Member

A boy from my daughter's school as well as a teacher were both at emerg. yesterday. Suspected swine flu. The teacher was back today so I guess that's not what it was with him. The boy is still not back. *fingers crossed*

Tracey

04/29/2009 02:36 PM
SpazyJess
SpazyJess  
VIP Member

That's pretty scary. I hope the boy will be ok. With this swine flu scare, I wonder how you even know you have it. I'll have to do a search on the web.

04/29/2009 02:39 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

My prayers are with him, I hope he doesnt have it. Jess if you get any type of flu like symptoms you are urged to seek attention. They dont treat everyone for it but they will be able to tell if its the common flu or at least test you for the swine flu.

04/29/2009 02:49 PM
SpazyJess
SpazyJess  
VIP Member

Thanks for the info Stacey, that's good to know!

04/29/2009 02:57 PM
lauracarmel
lauracarmel  

there are successful medicines for it already

flu kills thousands every year, swine flu shouldn't be any more dangerous. the main difference is. there isn't a vaccine yet but there are drugs that have proved successful.

i remember tamiflu is one, i can't remember the other one

04/29/2009 03:03 PM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

The other med you can take for the flu is Relenza.

04/29/2009 03:05 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I heard the med for this swine flu wont be out til mid may

04/29/2009 03:07 PM
mixma
mixma  
VIP Member

It's really scary. My doctor was actually on the news 2 minutes ago saying right now it's more likely for someone to come down with malaria or TB. That's a little comforting but not much. We went through SARS a few years back and quite a few people died from that. You didn't want to leave your house for fear of the unknown. I'm really sad for the people who have died in Mexico and the baby that was visiting Texas with his parents. With that being said, I'm praying that it stays as mild as it has been outside of Mexico.

04/29/2009 03:09 PM
lauracarmel
lauracarmel  

yeah, relenza's the one.

we already have a stock of tamiflu in the hospital here and i know that a manufacturer is on stand-by to make a vaccine as soon as scientists are able to find one

Plus: they managed to get a grip on bird flu...

it IS an important issue but I don't think it is too much for everyone to worry about, i feel sorry for the families left behind from the deaths too but like i said, normal flu kills thousands every year, it's just a new strain, not a more dangerous one.

i'm also quite comforted by your doctor saying that Smile

as calm as i'm trying to be, there's still a little bit of panic in me

Post edited by: lauracarmel, at: 04/29/2009 03:12 PM

04/29/2009 03:10 PM
mixma
mixma  
VIP Member

I just found this

There is no vaccine currently available to protect humans from swine flu. There are medications available to help in the prevention and treatment of swine flu. These are called antiviral medications. There are 2 classes available: M2 inhibitors (e.g., amantadine*) and neuraminidase inhibitors (e.g., oseltamivir, zanamivir).

Most people with previously reported swine influenza have been able to recover fully without medical attention and without antiviral medications. However, recent outbreaks indicate that treatment with antivirals may be needed

For people who are sick, help yourself get better and prevent the spread of the virus by doing the following:

Stay at home if you are sick. Do not go to work or school.

Stay at least 1 metre away from other people.

Rest and drink plenty of fluids.

Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. Throw your used tissue in the garbage. If you do not have tissue available, cover with your sleeve or hands. Wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.

Wash your hands regularly with soap and water. Make sure to wash your hands with soap for at least 15 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if you don't have access to soap and water.

There are ways to protect yourself from catching the swine flu. People who are travelling in areas where a swine flu outbreak has occurred need to take special precautions to reduce the chance of exposure to the swine flu virus. Here are some tips to prevent flu:

Avoid close contact with people who are sick and who have symptoms of swine flu (e.g., fever, cough).

Wash your hands with soap and water frequently and thoroughly. To ensure proper sanitization, you should wash your hands with soap for at least 15 seconds. Use alcohol-based sanitizers if handwashing is not convenient.

Get an annual influenza immunization (flu shot). This may not protect you from swine flu, but it can prevent some strains of human influenza. This helps avoid the situation of becoming infected with both swine and human influenza at the same time.

Practise good health habits such as getting enough sleep, eating a nutritious diet, and staying physically active.

Post edited by: mixma, at: 04/29/2009 03:12 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved