MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/23/2012 02:08 AM

pdoc put me on antidepressants for bipolar II

Sezzie0000

hi,

I'm a bit concerned I went to see a new pdoc today as my old one left and I am worried. He has prescribed me with an antidepressant, he initially was not going to give me anything and said that all I needed to do was talk. I got very very frustrated, because my old pdoc diagnosed me with bipolar 2 and this guy said well I dont know you so I cant make that diagnosis.

I am really worried that these meds are going make me hypomanic! His response was well at least we will know then. I felt like the whole time he was not listening to me. It's so frustrating, I'm trying to do the right thing and get help and he didn't listen.

Are the effects of an antidepressant induced hypomania the same as normal hypomania?

thanks,

Sarah

05/23/2012 07:14 AM
InvisibleMe
InvisibleMe  

Yes, it's the same. The antidepressant triggers the hypomania in you unless you have a mood stabilizer like lamictal, lithium or some other anti-seizure meds. It sounds like you might have to go pdoc shopping again. I went through a few before I found one that I like that listened to me.

05/23/2012 08:35 AM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I've gotten hypomanic from every one of them if I wasn't on a mood stabilizer. Even with a moos stabilizer I got hypomanic. I need a healthy dose on an anti-psychotic to bring me back to earth.

I fired my last pdoc for not listening..my choice and it was the best thing I ever did coping with this disorder. He was a pill pusher anyway. Just my opinion, I would rather be hypomanic than depressed any day. though I usually have good hypomanic states, not all are good but the majority are.

05/23/2012 08:57 AM
Sezzie0000

Hi,

Im not complaining I already feel really really energetic and happy, its a nice change. I just hope I dont go on a spending spree or speed while driving. I have been researching for the last 30min for a new pdoc, but I am really confused as it just gives me a list of names and I dont know who to choose. Im not really sure where to get the advice of who to choose (Im in AUS).

Sarah

05/23/2012 12:52 PM
my2lilgirls
my2lilgirls  

Maybe you could call and ask if they specialize or at least are trained in bp issues, especially bp2? If I switch pdocs one day i have decided I want to try and find one that specializes in it because i just dont' think mine has had a lot of experience with bp2/ Good luck and welcome. C

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved