MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/12/2012 05:09 PM

Psychotic depression?

DQueen

Has anyone ever had short episodes (generally lasting 2-3 hours) whereby they become increasingly agitated, cry uncontrollably, and really focused on harming self and deserving punishment? It is such a dark experience and it is impossible to see how irrational your thoughts are. I have often hurt myself and rocked myself back to calmness during these episodes. They are really awful and it is like they were a dream when you come out of them. Does anyone else get like this and would the excessive guilt and focus on deserved punishment mean it is a psychotic depressive episode with mood congruent features?

04/12/2012 05:18 PM
brandib811
brandib811  
VIP Member

I'm not sure, but I've been overly anxious and obsessive like that before.

04/12/2012 05:22 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I've never experienced this, but I'm sure you aren't the only one. I'm sorry that you experience this feeling. How awful. I would be sure to tell your psychiatrist of this extreme episode that you have. He can help and might know what it is. I hope you get this figured out soon. I hate to see you suffer.

04/13/2012 02:11 AM
mem4809

When i am not stable I have those periods every night but I am able to refrain from self-harm by telling myself it is a cycle and it will pass--thought the impulse is very very strong. They are terrible, the only good thing is that i know I will feel better the next morning. But when I am not stable I get that every night.

04/13/2012 04:19 AM
brandib811
brandib811  
VIP Member

I suppose I should mention I used to self harm extremely bad. I haven't really badly in about a year but the urge is very strong. It makes me feel out of control. I usually have to medicate and do something to distract myself from the thought of it. If you ever want to talk about it feel free to pm me.

02/22/2013 10:11 PM
jane1964

i sure do have these episodes matter of fact that is why i am on here right now. the way i keep from self harm is to tell myself of the people i know that have cancer and are fighting for thier lives in every way to be able to live yet another day and here i am being this way thinking on ending mine. i also want to harm others and the way i get thru that is i do not want to go jail and lose what freedom i do have. i have watched those shows women in prsion and i know i do no want that kind of life. i know what kind of life i want to live with peace and quiet and be doing good better life. i really want that. but my psychiatrist says it is a commom thing. i hear music that is not there, hear people talking n the walls things like that. he has given me no meds says the dr who prescibes is way behind in his patients. does that sound common to any of you. i may have mental problems but i am able to know he may not beleive me even tho i have been hospitalized twice suicidal. should i find my a nother psychiatrist. please help me i dont have anywhere else to go to where people might understand what i am going thru. i dont want to sit and cry go into this darkness seeing and hearing things, feeleing like i am worth nothing and everything that happens here at the house i smy fault. i get complained on my husband for not doing what he said or not doing the correct way or something is not right every day. yes i have lost interest in my home and everything else.i look at myself in the mirror and see i do not take care of myslef. is major depression with psychosis bi polar type 2 seen that at the top of thepage.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved