MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/07/2012 02:20 AM

Trying to cut down on my ativan

mem4809

I take ativan during the day to help with my anxiety--I believe the anxiety is largely side effects from my meds. I have been stable now for 2 weeks--yay--a big feat for me! But now it is time to even cut back on 1. This is highly addictive and so I am trying to go just for 3 a day to begin with, starting with half a pill. Has anyone gone through this before without being hospitalized?

04/07/2012 11:02 AM
brandib811
brandib811  
VIP Member

I'm trying to cut down on my Xanax. I'll try to go three or four days without taking it and then only take one or two a day. I don't believe you have to be hospitalized for it. I wish you luck.

04/07/2012 12:59 PM
skeptical
skeptical  

I am right there with you almost. I was taking 2mg a day for a while, and I have had ativan for an as needed basis for years now. Well, my pdoc doesn't like the idea of me drinking and having ativan in my system. So, she cut me back to only 0.5mg a day for two weeks! It has been really hard the past week or so, and I am nervous about how I will be if she decides to totally stop giving it to me.

This is a really hard thing, when you have been relying on a little white pill for so long to calm your anxiety, then suddenly have that crutch pulled away. Like learning to walk all over again. Pdoc keeps reminding me that I need to work on my coping mechanisms and learn better how to deal with the anxiety with positive behaviors, rather than leaning on meds or alcohol to numb my mind.

I hope you are doing ok, and I am sending you good luck. This will be hard, but it can be done. As long as you are determined to make it work, you can avoid the hospital.

Smile

04/07/2012 01:06 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I don't take Ativan, but I wish you the best of luck. I've heard it's addicting and you can go through withdrawals. I hope that isn't the case and you are able to go down smoothly.

04/07/2012 01:44 PM
mem4809

Thanks--there is no rush, it's just something I want to try to do. Mind you, I took my dogs to the vet and over the next few months they are going to cost me about $3000, so I started having an anxiety attack. Soooo...today will not be the day I start.

04/07/2012 02:52 PM
skeptical
skeptical  

candjdog, What is going to cost you so much for your dogs, if you don't mind my asking? I am just curious because I am a veterinary technician..... I hope they are ok?

04/08/2012 02:10 AM
mem4809

Thanks for asking! They both had their check up. One has cushings and bladder stones, takes meds, needs another s-ray and blood tests for the cushings to test his levels of cortisol. He also has a large tooth that is cracked and needs that removed. If they find bladder stones again then we will need to also pay to have them flushed or to have surgery (which I hope won't be necessary)--he gets them on a regular basis, we try to catch them early.

04/09/2012 03:01 AM
skeptical
skeptical  

Ugh! Poor puppies! Well, good luck with everything. It is really hard to see our pets not feeling well, and even if they are not acting sick, I still feel badly when an animal has something wrong.

I work in the dermatology service at the animal hospital. It sounds like an easy area to work in, but some of the things we see are pretty difficult. Skin issues are really hard to resolve, and sometimes it ends up being different types of cancer. That's when we send them over to oncology. Allergies are also a huge problem, and it is like a guessing game to figure out the best treatment to help them before they scratch all their skin bloody raw.

Anyway, you have a lot to handle with your dogs, so I am sending you lots of support. All they have is you to lean on, and that can be frustrating. *hug*

04/09/2012 03:10 AM
mem4809

Thanks skeptical! I don't know how you do it--working with sick animals--it would break my heart too much. I think my husband and i suffer more than the dogs too as they don't know what's coming up for them. i hate putting them under for surgery, they come back with glassy eyes and tongue hanging out of their mouths. Poor little things. They will be ok though-thanks for caring!

I wam going to try cutting down on the ativan slowly today. I really hope I can do it. Reducing any little bit will make me feel like i am taking somewhat control of my meds and anxiety.

04/09/2012 08:15 AM
brandib811
brandib811  
VIP Member

Remember deep breathing and grounding techniques.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved