MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/05/2012 09:41 PM

how to stay motivated to eat right and exercise???

blonde4

I was wondering if anyone has tips on how to keep with eating healthy and exercising regularly? I struggle with this but know that it does really help w/ my BP symptoms. I know it can't replace medications but physically, I feel better, have more energy, sleep well which goes a long way towards warding off depression. It's just keeping with it as I crave sweets and junk food and have never been athletic. Also, when I get down, tired, I just want to eat something fast and don't think I can muster up energy to exercise. Anyway, you get the point. So any tips on how to keep motivated and input on whether diet and exercise helps your BP?

04/06/2012 02:38 AM
mem4809

I went to a dietician for years and learnt a lot. I t really helped. I eat small meals throughout the day. In the beginning I had to plan my food week and write up a grocery list according to what I needed. Having a stocked fridge with healthy foods helps, as well as buying healthy snacks that you can carry with you when you get cravings. I preportion some of my meals. But if you don't know how much to eat or what to eat I strongly recommend a few sessions with a dietician. You can PM me any time too but I am not a dietician, just a healthy eater.

As for exercise, I do that first thing in the morning when I am not too tired. Night time just doesn't work for me. I make too many excuses not to do it. If mornings don't work, schedule another time and have a gym bag ready in your car so that you don't have to go home first--assuming you are going to the gym. If you are going to go for a good walk, then still lay out your clothes on your bed so you can get into them as scheduled. You must schedule it to keep it for now. Set small goals in the beginning and you will build up to more once you get the small goals done. I think of being healthy as a must--like brushing my teeth in the morning--it is not a choice, it's a need.

Good luck and good for you for starting and thinking about getting healthier! Please-again-pm me anytime!

Janna

04/06/2012 08:09 PM
blonde4

Thanks Janna. Your tips are very helpful. I need to think of it as a must/need like brushing my teeth. I am going to workout in the morning from now on as I do find too many excuses in the pm. I have self-educated myself about nutrition so think I have a handle on that although struggle with sugar cravings and believe I would feel much better if I stayed away from it. Maybe a dietitian would have ideas or if you know how to quit the sugar, especially pop, I'd be happy to hear. I'll pm you sometime soon. Thanks again for your input.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved