MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/02/2012 07:56 AM

what triggers mind into depression?

lken
lken  
VIP Member

is depression just one trigger or is it same old trigger that has not been dealt with, or is not knowing how to deal with it? it is like mind on hold, shutting down, why? we know mania is feeling good, do we want that? going to far into in mania is what? and going into depression is same thing in reverse? is it a sort of game the mind plays with it self?

03/02/2012 08:49 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I think for us depression is the chemical imbalance. With situational depression, the situation would trigger the depression. We don't want mania either. We just want stability. Where there is no up and down. They both can be debilitating, depression and mania. I'd rather not feel either one.

03/02/2012 03:51 PM
Perseverance
Perseverance  

I agree with Joy, it is all a chemical imbalance. I do not believe the mind has any control over either.

03/02/2012 06:02 PM
JenniferJen4
JenniferJen4  

I agree as well I want neither just an even mood but that rarely occurs even on meds it's usually rapid cycyling...................sad to say

03/02/2012 06:06 PM
Jarhead75
Jarhead75Posts: 389
Group Leader

Iken, take a look at http://www.afterpsychotherapy.com/ He has some interesting theories on the role of meds and causes of bipolar...

03/04/2012 11:16 AM
zoominsab
zoominsab  

I don't believe we're just victims of of hormonal inbalances. Of course it plays a role, but cognitive therapy is very successfull in preventing getting to deep into depression. Of course you often need help from your psychologist. I don't have it right jet and I honestly depend on medication a lot. If I feel as if its going down I increase my antidepressants slightly to help me to effectively use what I've learned. I hope I'll be able to cope without them at some point. But you're right its a cruel game nature plays with us. Not knowing how we'll feel the next moment and being so dependent on our mood. ,...

03/04/2012 11:30 AM
zoominsab
zoominsab  

oh,... noticed I didn't actually answer you first Question, and I wanted to. I believe that a combination of enviromental, namely outside factors like relationships, success etc, and our perception of them as well as hormonal imbalances may play a part in triggering depression. We often talk about faulty thought patterns that manipulate our perception of things, so in one case smth bad might happen at work, even though it isn't the end of the world, it might seem that way to us and we get into what psychologists might call circular reasoning. Our already impaired mind finds more and more ways to torture us. of course hormones also play a big role in it. But in my opinion it is different with most people.

03/06/2012 09:41 AM
dugg
dugg  

i think the chemical imbalance in the brain is an ongoing factor that means depression is effectively hardwired into one's life in ways that it's not for 'normal' people.

that said, i think there are other factors that are not simply chemical. i think the BP brain is often capable of an enhanced awareness that can be a double-edged sword- where one notices the beauty but also the ugly. the environment i'm in can make me feel better or much, much worse.

BP brains also can take empathy to a pretty high level and this too is a double-edged sword- when one is 'wronged' by someone, it can really, really hurt and it be very hard to "get over it".

then of course, there's the world - climate change, corrupt politicians, greed, senseless violence etc that in my experience can have a very negative impact on my mood...

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved