MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/16/2012 04:00 PM

Bipolar2 or addictive personality?

my2lilgirls
my2lilgirls  

I always believed I had an addictive personality, which I do. But, since diagnosed with bp2 i am wondering if constantly turning to pleasurable things(usually destructive) is a symptom or a norm of someone with bp2 or if it is just the way of an addict. I am an alcoholic, addict, sugar addict....other highs of various kinds. I am sober since 7-7-11 but am lately turning to sugar again as my "thing" of the moment, because it seems i always want more. More. Are all people with bp2 addicts of some kind. I know we have a dopamine problem, right? My pdoc always tells me that. I know that there is a strong link between having bp and addictions and eating disorders. I have had both. Has it mainly been the bp or the addictive nature that has made me so destructive for so long? C

02/16/2012 04:15 PM
Diamonds
Diamonds  

I was thinking that today, I've always had an addictive personality (except shoes and handbags), but sugar yes, so much. Alcohol, formerly drugs, smoking, sex, you name it. I think the addictions arise because of bipolar, but I can't explain this hunch.

Post edited by: Diamonds, at: 02/16/2012 04:17 PM

02/16/2012 04:16 PM
lken
lken  
VIP Member

i use to drink a lot and smoke pot a lot, i am diabetic so guess sugar, is there to, i found got deal with causes of need to medicate or numb. i only drink seasonly now about couple months or so, it reminds me of hangover, i only eat magic brownie every once a while, for pain, feet, tell yourself why i do i drink, relaxing, right, so i can be part of group, give me more confidence, i am bored, need get out of mind? maybe maybe something is bothering me. same with sugar, drinking, pot, shopping , sex, whatever the ying you need to fill the hole. i am hurting and i want to feel good.

02/17/2012 04:27 AM
InvisibleMe
InvisibleMe  

Congrats on quitting alcohol! I quit drinking 2.5 years ago and went straight to sweets. It's not uncommon after quitting alcohol. I had to wean myself off them and not eat them at all and then I didn't crave them. I just imagined what it would taste like because I've had something like it before, and I didn't eat it - whatever it was.

02/17/2012 08:06 AM
highandlow
highandlow  

It know its a little premature, but I quit alcohol 3 days ago. Yes, laugh if you will. But I was an everyday drinker. I needed to take the edge off. My meds weren't enough to curb the anxiety. Then, Whitney Houston died and my therapist asked me if I wanted to end up like her. You know we are not supposed to mix alcohol with our meds anyway, but it just really hit home. I just hope it lasts. I have other addictions too, but I can only tackle one at a time. Hope you find success in tackling yours!

02/17/2012 09:25 AM
lken
lken  
VIP Member

what i think about drinking and other addictive stuff we do is, when you feel there is no need for it, it is like a internal decision, am doing this for me or is the something causing we to drink,pot,eat, shop, or what ever. do i really need it. what am i hiding from or burying. what is it i do not want to see surfaced.

02/17/2012 09:35 AM
dugg
dugg  

i think that in many cases we know there is something missing/something 'wrong' long before anyone else does, and long before being diagnosed as BP - this leads to a search for something(s) to make 'it' better, aka self-medicating.

when one or more of these things seems to help, and makes life more bearable and even pleasurable, we return to it.

it's something humans do, whether BP or not. it could be sugar, could be food, could be shopping, could be religion...

like so many things, this behaviour can be a tool or it can be a destructive, counter-productive part of one's life.

02/17/2012 10:00 AM
lken
lken  
VIP Member

like so many things, this behaviour can be a tool or it can be a destructive, counter-productive part of one's life. just think about all those self righteous do gooders , that wear the mask,this is the way it should be, but condemn others for to want to be different. the 10% that think it is there god given right to control to play there tune.

02/17/2012 10:16 AM
my2lilgirls
my2lilgirls  

Thanks everybody for your replies! All good. C

02/17/2012 10:36 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I'm in the process of getting off sugar. I eat way, way too much and have gained a lot of weight because of it. I also smoke cigarettes which of course I am addicted. I'm unsure if it's a bipolar trait. It's a good question for a psychiatrist or psychologist to answer. It would explain a lot though with all of our addictions. Very good on your sobriety. That is a major accomplishment. I'm proud of you!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved