MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/23/2012 01:57 PM

Healed of Bipolar Two

elizfost

Hi. I wanted to share good news and am hoping it will help someone else. I was diagnosed bipolar two at the age of 23. At that time, I quit sleeping except 3 hours every few nights and I worked a full-time job. I was on medication for the next 16 years and still not sleep great and never have a lot of energy and not have a very good social life because of it. In the last few I discovered I had food allergies. As Never would have guessed that as I never threw up or had a serious reaction to food. Little did I know that feeling tired, depressed, tremors and insomnia in the night would be caused by gluten, milk and fructose intolerance. My liver was toxic because of fructose and that causes insomnia. Candiida resulting from gluten intolerance will cause insomnia. Nutritional defficiencies, malabsorption, and malnutrition will cause depression. I never had a doctor suggest that my symptoms could be secondary to something else. Even constipation is a result of food allergies. I know have two young children and one of them is a beautiful girl with Down Syndrome. Now that I know the truth, I will have the energy and stamina and emotional stability to care for my children and myself. The God of the Bible has been flaithful to guide me in this journey and to restore.

01/23/2012 02:48 PM
AmyGirl19

Did you get a chemical Imbalance test ?

01/23/2012 09:08 PM
elizfost

They gave me a written test to reveal depression. There is another way of thinking that depression is not a chemical imbalance but could be caused by nutrition or other physical issues and depression is a secondary issue. In other words, you must treat the primary cause to cure depression. Gluten, for example, can cause inflammation in the brain and a nutritional deficiency of tryptophan resulting in depression for one who is intolerant. Lactose intolerance can cause depression. Fructose intolerance affects the liver resulting in insomnia. Candida yeast infection can cause depression and insomnia. Not eating nutritious food can cause deficiencies resulting in depression. When I stopped eating gluten, my 15 years insomnia problem disappeared in 3 days. But there are new challenges being gluten intolerant. I will take those over never getting better because drugs never solved anything except I got a few extra hours of poor sleep.

01/24/2012 04:07 AM
JustAsIAm
JustAsIAm  

Happy for you that it was food allergies. Never heard of it manifesting itself that way, but praise God!

01/27/2012 10:58 AM
AmyGirl19

I will need to look into this, after being told Im bipolar and reading so many medication nightmares on these bipolar forum sites and taking these pills for a few days and not liking it. These medication nightmare stories all have this common phrase "finding the right combination of meds" this goes on for years, I can't even get a chemical imbalance test for this imbalance that they (100s of websites) say I have so I can get "the right meds".

I just have to stop acting so "bipolar" when I get stressed out and make plans to avoid stress and/or deal with it better.

01/01/2014 02:19 AM
anjaylah

uhm..yea.. I stopped taking my meds. I DID stop drinking and that was a huge difference in the cycle. I make myself sleep 8 hours some how some way, usually meditation videos on Youtube. I used Moodgym.com for cognitive behavior therapy.I meditate, helps so much with depression and patience, get a good teacher, I have a great audiobook! Because of medetation, no more need for ADD meds either. I moved to FL so I can get outside everyday, I walk my dog now everyday and ride my bike about 3 miles a day (increasing slowly). Next moves are getting off caffeine, sugar and gluten (I don't eat dairy or soy anyway). I FEEL GREAT for 2 1/2 months now. JUST TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!!!

01/01/2014 08:44 PM
ickydog
ickydog  
Group Leader

That's fabulous for you. I'm glad it worked. But keep in mind that you are probably a MINORITY. Most people who are truly bipolar aren't going to get better by changing their diet - I've tried. Don't work.

Also? You can see changes in the brain between people with bipolar and those without it on MRI scans. You can even see changes within the individual with each major mood cycle. Bipolar disorder is an organic disease. A chemical malfunction of the brain.

Changing your diet can help. Exercising can help. Meditation, mindfulness, all that stuff can help. I do it all. But the fact remains that if I stop my meds I go bat shit crazy. And this is how it is for most, sadly.

Again, I'm happy for you, but this isn't true of most people.

01/02/2014 12:32 AM
bipi

You can not be "healed" from bipolar if the diagnosis is correct. However it is possible to be in "remission" from it. Bipolar comes in cycles with periods of ups, downs and normality. It is very possible to have it under control and not to be experiencing symptoms for a while.

There may be other causes of mood issues apart from bipolar - that should all be checked out by the psychiatrist when making a diagnosis.

I agree that a healthy lifestyle (diet, exercise, regular sleep, no alcohol, no drugs etc) helps a lot. Most of us require medications to be functional. It depends how bad it is. Currently I am managing my bipolar without medication, but I struggle a lot sometimes. I go through periods of being ok also. It is likely that I will need medication at some point and I accept that. I know my bipolar would be very bad if I were to drink or take drugs.

With or without medications, it is possible to go through phases with no symptoms at all. That is a good thing to have and something to aim for if possible. However, even if someone is experiencing "remission" from bipolar symptoms, it does not mean they are cured.

Post edited by: bipi, at: 01/02/2014 12:33 AM

Post edited by: bipi, at: 01/02/2014 12:35 AM

Post edited by: bipi, at: 01/02/2014 05:53 AM

Post edited by: bipi, at: 01/02/2014 05:54 AM

01/02/2014 05:41 AM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

This post is over a year old and the member hasn't been on since 05/30/2012.

My 2 cents is there can be other causes for depression but bipolar with depression & hypomania can only go into remission. Even if you are able to get by without medications as far as I know it is progressive and as the years pass the cycles become closer together. when I was in my 20s cycles and mixed states lasted for months even up to a year. Now at 50 it's weeks.

I'm in remission now though if I were to go off of medication which I think we all want to do, I would probably go into a depressive cycle which have now become pretty severe without medication.

I'm happy for those who can get by without meds but for the majority there's not much choice if we want to be stable and functional.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved