MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/10/2012 05:26 AM

Transforming right in front of others!

highandlow
highandlow  

I believe I slipped into an episode right in front of my friends this weekend! It was like something came over me. Something heavy that totally changed my mood and how I felt...for no apparent reason. Anyone else ever experience this? I couldn't shake it! It was noticible to the others...in fact, they pointed it out! Creepy!

01/10/2012 12:36 PM
my2lilgirls
my2lilgirls  

No, but sounds scary. I did just have a hypo-manic episode triggered and it felt like something came over me and i felt totally out of control of my bad behavior and it did feel like something "came over me". C

01/10/2012 09:09 PM
Analogdog
Analogdog  

Yep, when I go manic, it happens instantly where ever I am, usually around home. One recently was at the dinner table, I got filled with overwhelming love and joy. That got me back in the hospital. Another was a transformation in the afternoon making me silly high the rest of the day.

I should say that these events have only occurred with meds. PreDX, I was manic only, and it was invisible to me and everyone around me, including pdocs. Mania now only lasts several hours, then its gone.

01/11/2012 10:37 AM
StvBP2

I'm pretty sure I've been doing this since I was a teenager. And it probably explains the isolation.

01/11/2012 01:37 PM
lost4good
lost4good  

I do it too. It is like a light switch that got turned on. It was soo bad this weekend that my family was asking me if I took my meds. I told them ya but I just felt so happy and wanted to have fun. They never looked at me like they did and have never asked if I took my meds or not. super frownny.

01/11/2012 06:01 PM
hoppipolla
hoppipolla  

I hate slipping into an episode around people. Of course it's fun for others at times. I overspend and usually buy people drinks or dinner. People placate my bursting ego. I take my meds everday, but sometimes this shit happens. Maybe I need more friends who are aware of my stuff. Or just better friends.

01/11/2012 06:50 PM
Deanna03
Deanna03  

Your friends should deft know what's going on with u and if there true friends they will understand and they will want to help you and they will want to educate thereselves!

01/12/2012 04:39 AM
RadioGuy
RadioGuy  

My wife notices when this happens to me more than other family members. However this happened to me once while I was eating out with my in-laws. My wife's grandmother said she was looking at me when my mood switched. Instantly she could tell I was headed downward. She was taken back. Up to that point she had just been told of my moods, she never actually saw it.It was an eye opener for her. At the time i had no idea it happened.

Later in the dinner I became aware. It's so important to inform and educate the people you surround yourself with. The people you trust most need to know how to react properly.

01/12/2012 08:53 AM
highandlow
highandlow  

Yes! I understand what each of you is saying. It is terrible. I am just now learning to recognize when it happens myself. It was an anxious, angry feeling that I just couldn't shake. As time goes on, the more aware I am of mood changes and I try to keep calm when I feel one coming on. Usually though, they seem to occur over night and I just wake up differently in the morning. It is truly scary when it happens while I'm awake!

01/12/2012 10:24 AM
christianink

I find this to be one of the most frightening things about this disease. If I crash, I can usually deal with that by finding the closest bed. However, I like to 'believe' I can tell when I'm going manic. Mind you, this is very rare and always because of some new drug. Always.

Sadly, I can't see it until I've spent a bunch of money and made promises I can never keep. A vicious circle, it is, for this one.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved