MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/15/2011 02:00 PM

finally being tested for bipolar 2 but so scared

boo2001

hi im 24 married with 3 young children

i have suffered from depression since i was around 14, i have had councillors and been on a lot of different anti depressants that have never really helped.

please do exscuse me if i start rambling and my story doesnt make sense as i am very confused and lonely right now, and trying to make sense of it all!!

i have always been quite happy to accept that i had depression untill recently, earlier this year my husband left me and had a 3 month affair, he told me it was all my fault and that he was fed up of me shouting at him for no reason. he never understood my depression and just thought i was a nasty bitch. we have been back together for around 6 months now and wants to learn more about it. so we started lloking on the internet on different types of depression, this is when we came across bipolar 2 and were both amazed of how much it sounded like me. i am constantly very depressed have no energy and could quite happily sleep all day, the only thing that keeps me going is my children. i have recently had there names tatooed on my wrist to stop myself from self harming, when i am not depressed i am very angry at people for no reason and seem to feel the need to cause trouble. i dont know anybody that suffers from this and have only ever heard bad things, i am very scared and nervous about being diagnosed but at the same time it would be a relief that there is something wrong and that im not just going mad. i have days where i dont no if im coming or going and just want to cry all day im also started to get confused, lose things and forget where i am. my husband is trying to be supportive but i fully understand that this is very hard for him to. it would be so nice to be able to talk to someone who understands where im coming from, if any of you could help me it would be greatly appreciated, thankyou for reading my story Dizzy

09/15/2011 03:18 PM
lost4good
lost4good  

You sound like me before I got meds. I think once you find a good shrink and find the a good med cocktail (took me years to get the right mix), you will look back and laugh at yourself. Recommend taking it one day at a time and recognizing those moments you have as a result of this disease and making an effort to not let BPII take over. Get some professional help as soon as you can for the sake of yourself and your marriage and kids.

09/15/2011 03:20 PM
MineForLife
MineForLifePosts: 287

I am not a doctor or anything of the sort and I highly advise that you see a professional, be it a psychologist or a psychiatrist. There are many things that may seem like Bipolar and since you didn't really mention anything that relates to hypomania (which is a crucial criteria for Bipolar II) I don't think that Bipolar II might be the right assumption. Although individuals with Bipolar II get irritable, it is different then actual anger. Anger, depression and self-harm are more related to Borderline Personality Disorder, which is not really a personality disorder, but more over, a mood regulation disorder (it has physiological properties, much like Bipolar). Once again, I am not a doctor or anything of the sort and I advise you to get a professional opinion/ diagnosis as soon as possible.

I hope that by searching for the answer you do in fact come to an answer, and from that answer you can find the right treatment, that would hopefully lead to a better quality of life. Please keep us informed about your journey of the search of your own truth.

09/15/2011 05:12 PM
hunkydorie
hunkydorie  

I highly encourage you to go forward with getting a dx and wish you well. Yes, it can be scary, but you need to know what is going on and where to go from here. Let us know how you make out?

09/16/2011 01:42 AM
boo2001

thankyou for all your support i have drs in a few hours and will let you know how i get on

09/16/2011 05:42 AM
redphoenix
redphoenix  
VIP Member

I know you are going through a very difficult time right now. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I have felt similar to you and you do sometimes feel like you are losing your mind. However, I don't think any of us are qualified to propose a diagnosis... that is for a professional to do. I'm glad you are going to see someone and I hope you can get the answers you are looking for. Please keep us updated because we care.

Hugs,

09/16/2011 07:07 AM
InvisibleMe
InvisibleMe  

Welcome to the group! There are many of us who have felt the same way you have. I do agree that you should go to a psychologist or psychiatrist. Please keep us posted.

09/16/2011 07:25 AM
mem2427

Welcome to the group. I hope you appt goes well keep us posted. It is scary to first get your diagnosis, but it is also a big relief to know what is going on so you can start the process of managing it. Take care.

09/16/2011 02:23 PM
boo2001

well after a few setbacks of being to scared to go i finally got to the drs, she was very nice and understanding, and has said there is a high possibility that it bipolar 2, she is refering me to a pyschiatrist so that they can help me with a diagnosis is a big relief to be finally getting help, although im not really sure how i feel about all this at the moment but im sure it will hit me at some point, at the moment i am trying to stay strong and positive for my kids sakes. thankyou for all your replys it really is helping me and its nice to know that there are others out there who can relate to how i feel.

09/17/2011 06:30 AM
InvisibleMe
InvisibleMe  

That's great that you made that huge step! You're taking care of yourself and that's so important like you said for your kids. Keep us posted.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved