MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/07/2009 06:00 AM

Anxiety and Bipolar

Jazzmary
Jazzmary  

i was wondering what you all do for anxiety issues. i have been anxious about doing any and everything lately and its killing me. Please help

01/07/2009 06:08 AM
Colleenj
Colleenj  
VIP Member

I am constantly anxious and overwhelmed. When the anxiety gets out of hand, I take Ativan. For the most part, my anxiety level is low enough these days so that I don't have to take it. When I was having full-blown anxiety/panic attacks, I learned to take deep breaths and just talk myself into calming down until the attack passed.

Please talk to your doctor. Your therapist (if you have one) would also be a good source for talking things out and coming up with some better suggestions than I have.

Good luck.

01/07/2009 09:54 AM
SassyJessy
SpazyJess  
VIP Member

I take Klonopin 1mg 3x a day since anxiety has been a struggle most of my life aside from the other BP stuff. I like Klonopin b/c it rids the anxiety w/o the drowsiness so I can still be productive. And aparently according to my p-doc, the med is a moodstabilizer as well.

01/07/2009 11:25 AM
herenow
herenow  

I hope you can find some solutions, Jazzmary. I had pretty bad anxiety including obsessive thoughts before my diagnosis. Getting on my meds (that mostly work) has really helped reduce my anxiety symptoms, which is great. So maybe your meds need to be adjusted?

I do take Xanax now and then, not so much for anxiety as agitation.

Good luck to you!

herenow

01/07/2009 11:32 AM
SassyJessy
SpazyJess  
VIP Member

Oh yeah! I know of one natural rememdy (Valerian root). There could be others.

01/07/2009 03:44 PM
GimpyZebra
GimpyZebra  

The right meds, solutions for when things feel like they are getting out of control. I actually have a little pocket sized note card holder with different things to do depending on the level of anxiety. I've been on ativan, klonopin, and now valium. I prefer the klonopin to me honest. It helped a lot without me feeling sleepy. Effexor was like the wonder drug for me, but then i was switched to cymbalta for the pain relief it has... however, its making "The Crazy" come out more... I've been cycling really badly since the switch... or more mixed episodes or something. Definintely not a good switch for me. Sigh... anyway.. I highly suggest making a list of soothing things you can do. Like some of the things i have written on my notecards is keeping my hands busy then examples: knitting, crocheting, writing, fingerpainting. Another is sensory stuff, the fingerpainting also works for that. getting out an ice pack and putting it on you wrist or arm. petting a soft blanket, or if you have a cuddly animal... or if you're like me and have a cat with tons of energy, but not very bright and playing with it. Journaling, which is something I've alway had a hard time with... but it helps others. I hope some of these things help you. Talking to people definitely can help. HUGS.

01/07/2009 06:08 PM
waterdawg
waterdawgPosts: 6

My anxiety gets extreme when I am in the depressive side of things.....I am taking effexor, and lamictal....my anxiety has decreased but I still need valium when it gets really bad....does anyone feel anxiety more in the morning rather than any other time of day?.....

01/07/2009 07:32 PM
GimpyZebra
GimpyZebra  

I know that if I dont take my my meds in the morning, i am going crazy by the afternoon. I take Cymbalta, which I think is making me crazy anyway-I want to go back on Effexor, 300mg of neurontin, 300mg Ultram ER, 10mg of Valium.

01/08/2009 09:45 AM
SiouxInMyBlood
SiouxInMyBlood  

I responded to your other post, Jazz but wanted to say that the winter/cabin fever does that to me. I feel that 'flee' come on even if I am kinda depressed. Another tip, don't mix the Valerian Root with your Klonopin. They are both good, but not together. Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved