MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/08/2011 04:08 PM

Testing

blj713
blj713  

I called my therapist this morning to find out if he had filled out the papars for my SSI hearing yet. He just called back this afternoon and seems hesitant to fill out the papers unless I go for some testing. Two tests, he said, one will take an hour and the other 45 minutes. Testing???? Is there a test for bipolar that I'm not aware of? I thought that's why it's so difficult to diagnose because there is no test. Anyone know what kinds of tests these could possibly be? I feel like all of a sudden my therapist doesn't believe I'm bipolar either. What's up with that? He's seen me while hypomanic. Do therapists and pdocs actually think you'd be willing to take the awful bipolar cocktails with all their horrible side effects, if you weren't bipolar? Do they think we like being bipolar, or that it's fun or that we choose to be bipolar? I think 100% of us would choose not to be bipolar if that were a choice. Partly why I'm having these questions is I read an obnoxious article today that claimed you could control hypomania and prevent hypomania from happening. What a joke! Did you all know that? That we don't need meds for hypomania we can control it ourselves without meds? I'm being sarcastic of course. What an irresponsible and ignorant article to publish on the web. As to having the tests, I readily agreed, didn't tell therapist how I felt about it but I feel like my honesty is being questioned and I don't understand why.

08/08/2011 04:23 PM
tova1836
tova1836  

I've been through different psychological tests. I don't think it means your therapist doesn't believe you, rather it will mean he'll have something more objective to reference. It could help your case. There are no tests for bipolar but there are tests that assess psychological functioning, depression, psychosis, psychological tendencies, etc.

Don't need meds for hypomania!?! Wouldn't that be a dream . . . Ha!

08/08/2011 04:36 PM
blj713
blj713  

I didn't think there was a test for bipolar. Well I hope the tests help him to see what I think is plain to see from his appointments with me. And hopefully it will help my case.

Yes it would be a dream to not need meds for hypomania. Makes me want to wish an episode of hypomania (and not the good kind) on someone like that who writes an article so irresponsible. Then we'd see how well he could control it.

08/08/2011 04:53 PM
allyfant
allyfant  

I also don't think there is a test for bipolar, but I've taken numerous psychological tests (and administered them too in my past work life) that measure functioning. Hopefully your pdoc is asking you to take these so that they will help your SSI case -- if the tests show diminished or impaired functioning, I can only think they would help your case.

I can't stand articles/people/etc. that diminish the severity of bipolar disorder and the impact of depression and hypomania!!!! So much ignorance abounds! I try to stay away from such articles and ignorant people.

Hope you are hanging in there Barbara! Hugs to you!

08/08/2011 05:09 PM
blj713
blj713  

Thanks Ally!

Not my pdoc, but my therapist who is giving me these tests. I had forgetten but I did take some psyciological tests about 11 years ago when first diagnosed with PTSD. I'm glad my therapist thought of it then, it should help my case if the judge takes such things seriously.

It is amazing how much ignorance abounds, especially on the internet. I know I should ignore such articles. Was feeling depressed and bad kind of hypomanic so I guess I let it get under my skin.

Funny last couple of days I've felt really awful from early morning to late afternoon and then as it starts to go into evening I start to feel a bit of relief and just low level hypo. I guess I'm cycling even within a day. It sure has been a strage ride, this hypomania bipolar stuff.

08/08/2011 05:16 PM
redphoenix
redphoenix  
VIP Member

I agree that your therapist may be administering these tests to try and help your case. I hope that is it, because it might really bolster your chances for disability. Best of luck.

08/08/2011 05:20 PM
blj713
blj713  

Thanks Susan! I hope that's the case too.

08/09/2011 04:41 AM
InvisibleMe
InvisibleMe  

I was given psychological tests when they diagnosed me bp2. Hopefully the tests will make your case stronger. Good luck!

08/09/2011 10:31 AM
blj713
blj713  

Thanks Christine!

08/09/2011 03:24 PM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

There is the DSM-IV Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th Edition, and MMPI-2(Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory-2)

I think those are standard tests esp. the DSM-IV. There are also other tests that are not specifically for BP though they can help the pdoc get a better idea of how your mind is working. Personality traits, psychosis, OCD, etc. I've taken every test there is since I started at 16 years old. I've even taken some of them twice like the The Rorschach test (ink blot), some tests I don't even know their names. I think they may help you with SSI and work in your favor. I don't know. You never know when it comes to SSI.

Post edited by: RickEJ, at: 08/09/2011 03:26 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved