MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/03/2011 02:57 PM

Psychiatrist versus RN for prescribing

skeptical
skeptical  

Which of you out there have an actual psychiatrist prescribing your meds, and who has a prescribing nurse? My pdoc just referred me out to someone else who happens to be a prescribing nurse. In the past I worked with a nurse for a short while, and she was OK, but I was never really satisfied. I don't know if my opinion is getting in the way, but I just feel like I am getting better care with a doctor.

What are your experiences and thoughts? Would you be OK with seeing a nurse for your meds?

I guess what matters is the training that is behind the professional, but I just see a big difference in the way doctors treat versus nurses.

By the way, I am a little fed up with this switching pdocs thing because this will now be my sixth new prescriber in just over two years! Some left because they moved or were laid off, and one I left because she was not good for me. I just want to find one that I work well with and have it last long enough for me to gain some rapport and trust with them. So frustrating!

08/03/2011 03:35 PM
tova1836
tova1836  

I see a psychopharmacologist/psychiatrist. It is costly, but worth it as I am very sensitive to medications and have had a hard time getting them right.

Post edited by: tova1836, at: 08/03/2011 03:36 PM

08/03/2011 06:57 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I think it would be okay if they knew what they were doing. I have a psychiatrist, but I'd go to a nurse if I needed to and feel the person out. If you didn't think that person was helping you, you could always change. I've heard of a few people that go to psychiatric nurses and they like them just fine. I wish you luck in whatever you do!

08/03/2011 07:36 PM
blj713
blj713  

I don't know if mine was called a nurse, maybe so and I didn't know, she was not a pdoc and she could prescribe meds. I went to her for 10 years and she was always up on the latest meds and good at trying new things on me. I only ran into a problem when she didn't believe my diagnosis of bp2. (she treated me for various forms of depression and PTSD) But otherwise my experince was good and I'd say if they know their stuff then I have no objection to it not being a pdoc.

08/04/2011 10:48 AM
InvisibleMe
InvisibleMe  

I have experienced talking with a psych nurse before, and it was okay. She really listened to me. I was in my 20s then. Since then I have moved several times. Now in my 40s I have a psychiatrist that is wonderful. I pay a high cost for him because he's worth it. He really listens to me.

08/04/2011 11:14 AM
dagny
dagny  

I just started seeing a psych nurse in June and while I was very pleased with her at first (she seemed very thorough and spent time with me), it now seems like she's not really that sure of how to treat me. But I wasn't pleased with the psychiatrist I had before her either. I think they really don't know what the heck to do with us sometimes. Smile

08/04/2011 12:59 PM
blj713
blj713  

I think you could be right about them not knowing what to do with us sometimes Smile I suppose bipolar is difficult to treat since getting the right cocktail is basically a crap shoot, excuse my French, it's a big guessing game with major trial and error.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved