MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/10/2011 07:28 AM

Do you feel like a burden

barelymanic
barelymanic  
VIP Member

I was wondering how many other people here feel like they are burdens. To their families or even society in general. I have to learn not to talk to people about those in need who cannot get help because they just don't seem to believe it happens. They seem stuck on those who are still getting help that do not need it and on the scammers.

Sometimes I have a great need for comfort and compassion and it is very hard to find anywhere else but here. I was told by my last husband that I was too needy (never new what he meant by that). He was an alcoholic so i didn't give him much credence. Even my loving boyfriend of today says i am sometimes more than he can handle and i am not even that severe. I mostly suffer from depression and fatigue.

Sometimes I feel that everyone would be happier if I just crawled into a hole and died. I think many don't have it as good as they would like and don't appreciate how good they have it. If you say anything to them about needing help they will in turn say how hard they have it, even when they have it 10x better than you.Sick

I would just be interested in seeing if others share my feelings.

07/10/2011 08:22 AM
LemonLime

I do feel like a burden to family and society. Especially these days that I am looking for a job and not being able to find one or afraid that if i do get it i will be able to keep up with it. I also feel like closing my eyes and never wake up, like life was a dream

and my children never suffer my loss.I feel this disease has taken control of who i really am or what i could be.

07/10/2011 08:23 AM
dagny
dagny  

When I'm in a state of depression, I feel like I'm a burden in that I can see myself in the future, needing even much more help than I do now, continuing to have to be in a mental hospital more and more (I've already been 4 times in 12 years), and scared that I'll really go off the deep end and not be myself at all, THAT'S when I get scared. When my husband goes on about how much my meds cost, the cost of my hospital bills and the doctor bills, I know he means no harm, but it hurts my feelings, THAT'S when I feel like a burden, and it does not help my suicidal ideation when I'm in my depressed state. When I feel good like I do now, I don't feel a burden. Strange. I don't think I'm needy, because I'm not a needy type person. You probably are not either, just that you think you are.

07/10/2011 09:04 AM
barelymanic
barelymanic  
VIP Member

I think needy is probably a matter of opinion. Remember when Chandler told Monica (Friends) that she way needy.

07/10/2011 09:09 AM
mem2427

I feel like a burden a lot of the time. My hubby makes comments about my treatment too and that throws me into it a lot of the time. I sometimes think that people are better off with me out of their lives. (most of the time this is what I feel in my depressive times)

07/10/2011 10:07 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I don't feel a burden to people. I go on about my business and live life. People have not commented on me being a burden. I do feel needy sometimes with my boyfriend, but that is because I don't get the affection I am needing.

07/10/2011 10:13 AM
Stressed2TheMax

all the time

07/10/2011 02:14 PM
newbie79

I also feel very much like a burden. Don't know if it's the paranoia or if people are actually feeling that I'm too much. I've opened up to a couple of friends (for the first time ever) about what I go through, especially with the severe depression and the constant suicidal ideation. My friends surround me when I'm in a hypomania phase cause I'm funny and fun. When I'm in a depressive phase they pull back because they recognize it. They call to ask me how I am, I simply say "rough day" and they suddenly have some sort of reason to end the call. Do I actually "suck the energy out of the room" or am I just paranoid? Regardless, I do feel like a burden to family and friends. I'm hoping it's me just being paranoid.

07/10/2011 02:41 PM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Sometimes I think I'm a burden to my mom esp. when I had a bad day or feeling down. I'll ask her about it and I'm usually wrong in my thinking. Its just me thinking negative because I'm not doing well. When I am doing well I never even think about it.

07/11/2011 01:11 AM
fruitymum
fruitymum  

Hi. Should we say that it is a burden to support a loved one when they are having problems functioning on their own? I dont think so. Saying that, I also feel this way when I'm down and find myself with very few friends and family due to lack of understanding. Funny how perfect strangers ( that are now my friends ) on this site hear the most of my needy grumbles and are always so supportive and never make me feel as if im draining them despite the fact that they too have their own issues to contend with. I believe this is due to understanding. If only others could just understand it from the inside........

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved