MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/26/2011 01:43 PM

going to a new Pdoc & scared

Bruisin
Bruisin  

I am headed to a new dr. here closer to me & I'm so scared.........I don't deal well with change & I'm always so afraid they won't allow me to leave. But, things are getting so bad for me emotionally, I have to go because my current meds aren't working as well as they use to/need to...I'm crying most days & stay depressed & I'm spending too much money......I'm just all over the place and can't handle this without updating my meds, and getting help.

Do you ever worry about going to the new doc? How do you overcome fears? I'm having such a hard time.......my anxiety is terrible with this.Unsure

05/26/2011 01:52 PM
Catbaloo
CatbalooPosts: 6829
VIP Member

Try to take a deep breath and remind yourself that the pdoc is there to help you, not to harm you. They will not try to keep you there. Heck, in my experience when my time is up I'm gently shown the door, no matter what we're talking about. Smile That's just my attempt at a humorous way to remind you that they are paid for their time and they are professionals.

Change is always scary but it is often a good thing. You know things won't get better if you don't see this pdoc and there is a real chance that they will get better after you do. Try to concentrate on that and be hopeful instead of just afraid.

Remember, nothing changes if we don't change something.

05/26/2011 02:13 PM
tova1836
tova1836  

I always worry about going to a new pdoc and fear that they won't believe how hard it is for me to respond to medications. My current pdoc laughed and said my history sounds like a review of the PDR (I had been on and failed most of the meds for depression and bp2 when I first saw him.) Anyway, try and remember that you are the consumer. If this doc can't help you, you'll find another, but give it a good try. You are in control, even if you don't feel that way. I hope this doc helps you get relief.

05/31/2011 10:58 AM
Bruisin
Bruisin  

Well, I went & they didn't keep me..........lol. I am scheduled to see a Pdoc & therapist w/i the next couple of weeks and at that time my meds will be changed. It was frustrating to spill my guts to only have to wait like that, but since I'm on 'hardship' basis, I will take it. Something is much better than nothing.

it was so very hard to make myself go. I'm hoping this is the start of my being better.

05/31/2011 01:07 PM
Catbaloo
VIP Member

Good for you for overcoming your fear and going. It's a start, right?

05/31/2011 07:30 PM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Congratulations on getting through that first appointment. "Something is much better than nothing" - I like that - that's a positive way of thinking about it!

06/01/2011 12:13 PM
Bruisin
Bruisin  

thanks for the encouragement. I'm kinda scared about my next appointments. Is it strange to have a Pdoc & therapist?

06/01/2011 01:51 PM
Catbaloo
VIP Member

Not at all. The pdoc is mostly for meds, the therapist is for counseling/therapy/life skills.

06/02/2011 06:35 PM
Bruisin
Bruisin  

I'm getting pretty nervous again. Sad I am almost dreading those appts. I may just 'chicken out'.

06/02/2011 06:46 PM
blj713
blj713  

Congratulations on making it thru your first appointment. Now hang in there for the future appointments. Just take a deep breath and remember the appointmests can help you. I'll be getting a new pdoc in July, my old was is moving away, so I'll be taking a few deep breaths then myself. Change is always difficult, but usually isn't always as bad as we fear.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved