MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/25/2011 04:57 AM

is being on disability bad? canadians?

samiam17
samiam17  

Just came from docs and asked him about if he would help me get on disability. He said no problem but warned me that all the people he knows that got on it regretted it.He says he knows two that even committed suicide. Because it is so little money and they had to give up savings as well as their self esteem dropped partly due to friends , family and societies negative views. I told him money should not be an issue as i am living on very little now, it would be about 200 bucks a month drop but i wold get free drugs and i think dental. Also you can work some, they just claw back half. He agreed to take me off work immediately so i should be able to get employment insurance for 14 weeks. I just couldnt take work anymore, they are getting very abusive there, demanding, anything that goes wrong is always the cashiers fault even the bit of shoplifting that happens, we are watched every minute on the cameras, I just couldnt take it anymore. Its a big leap of faith but i keep trying jobs and with the stress and my mood swings i just cant keep one.

03/25/2011 11:19 AM
InvisibleMe
InvisibleMe  

I know how stressful a job can be. I get so stressed out I end up taking anti-anxiety medicine and anything I can to get through the day. I'm glad your doc is being supportive of your desires and I hope all goes well on disability.

03/25/2011 11:23 AM
samiam17
samiam17  

i have tried many, i was in the health care field for years, taking care of dev. delayed adults, that was really stressful so thought cashier would be better. Was okay for awhile but now things have gotten worse in my head and much worse there, i just couldnt do it. I hope i get energy to persue my dream of helping people be more aware of mental health issues on a volunteer level

03/25/2011 12:07 PM
Moonbaby
Moonbaby  

I hope everything goes well in regard to pursuing disability. I so understand how hard it is to maintain a job. Some days are almost unbearable. Struggling to just get out of bed and then to a demanding job can be too much. I take anti-anxiety meds when it gets to be too much. I don't use them often but they are a God send when I need them. How much could you work while on disability?

03/25/2011 12:12 PM
samiam17
samiam17  

First of all my doc does not believe in anti anxiety meds, seems to be the new way here. SAys they are addictive and act on your brain like alcohol. I support his decision as he really is a very caring supportive doc. I could not take them at work anyway as they make me very sleepy.

YOu can work on disability, they claw back half of what you earn so you have to have the right mind set. You cant think about it as working for half pay, you have to try to think of it as being supported partly by disability. I may at some point try this program they have here called stride. It is for people with disability and some of jobs are ones that they know you are disabled. I think it is my only option other than some self employed cleaning and supporting elderly jobs. Just cant go the regular job route one more time. Luckily i am 51 so not too many years left in some ways

03/25/2011 12:22 PM
Moonbaby
Moonbaby  

The doctors here are very careful about prescribing anti-anxiety meds here also. My pdoc only gives me a few at a time so I take them only when I really, really need it which thank goodness isn't often. When will you be able to retire? I hope I can make it to retirement. It's been touch and go there at times and if I didn't have the manager I have I don't believe I would have made it. Definitely a blessing to have your manager be understanding of the illness and will work with you in dealing with it.

03/25/2011 01:28 PM
samiam17
samiam17  

your manager knows then? thats good. I have to admit last straw was being told "surely you can find something to do..theres lots of cleaning" when i was only cashier on duty and supposed to be watching customers for shoplifting (which was totally fault of cashiers of course). They were just way too demanding and godlike in their eyes.

I should get employment insurance for a few months, half my salary which is drop in bucket, but will use up retirement savings until i reach magic number of what you can have ,5 grand, then i apply and hope for best. Takes several months but i have been thinking of this for years. I am single so no help from anyone unfortunately

03/25/2011 08:53 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I think I wouldn't be able to make it on disability myself, but if you think you can, then it would be a lot less stress for you. Plus you say you will get your medications paid for. You shouldn't have to deal with abuse at your workplace. That is wrong and you could probably get them into trouble if you wanted to. I hope you go with what feels best to you and what makes you the happiest. There is no reason to suffer. I wish you luck my friend!

03/26/2011 01:03 AM
dancalgary
dancalgary  

Post edited by: dancalgary, at: 03/26/2011 01:05 AM

03/26/2011 01:04 AM
dancalgary
dancalgary  

samiam17 before you spend your RRSPs (if that is what you meant by retirement savings or even cash), check out the fed gov website..

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/disability_issues/ disability_savings/index.shtml

If your pdoc helps you qualify, you may be able to move your savings into an RDSP account? It is very easy to apply... Not sure what province you live in, I'm in Alberta and our disability plan (AISH - I think it stands for Assured Income something something... not sure) anyway the savings you put into an RDSP is exempt from their requirement of using up your savings. Also the money you put in there is matched by government grants and such. Take a read at that link, it's a great program. That way when retirement comes, you will have a little something extra put away.... I hope that helps.

PS There is nothing wrong with going on disability, it's there to help!

Post edited by: dancalgary, at: 03/26/2011 01:07 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved