MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/10/2011 12:46 PM

Why have I never been diagnosed Bi Polar?

CatV1967
CatV1967  

I am coming to realize I might be BiPolar 2. Maybe someone out there can tell me.

In November I had a severe depression episode, nearly went to the mental hospital. But just rode it out.

But after I feel hyper and I'll buy a lot of stuff I can't afford, or take more of my meds, or just in general doing more activities than I usually do, going overboard on stuff.

My psychiatrist says I am not BP, I just have violent mood swings.

Huh? what is the difference between violent mood swings, BiPolar 2, and BiPolar 1?

Thank for any help out there

CATV

03/10/2011 02:02 PM
bennyw
bennyw  

hey catv,

if you think you might be bipolar, it's probably best to seek another medical opinion. what you're describing in being 'hyper' sounds a little like being 'hypomanic' but i know the symptoms of a lot of psychological disorders overlap. noone here is qualified to diagnose you but i would certainly seek out a second opinion.

tc,

ben

03/10/2011 02:12 PM
CatV1967
CatV1967  

thanks ben. i don't know enough about it. what is hypomania how is is different?

CATV

03/10/2011 08:01 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I agree with Ben, get a second opinion. You never know, a new one may agree with you. We can't diagnose you of course because we are not doctors. I hope you will try out a new one to put your mind at ease. If you do have bipolar, you need medications to stop the mood swings and become stable. I wish you the most luck!

03/11/2011 07:24 AM
bennyw
bennyw  

hey catv,

hypomania is like mania 'lite'. i pulled the following from wikipedia which seems like a pretty good summary:

"Hypomania (literally, "below mania" ) is a mood state characterized by persistent and pervasive elevated (euphoric) or irritable mood, as well as thoughts and behaviors that are consistent with such a mood state. Individuals in a hypomanic state have a decreased need for sleep, are extremely outgoing and competitive, and have a great deal of energy. However, unlike with full mania, those with hypomanic systems are fully functioning, and are often actually more productive than usual. Specifically, hypomania is distinguished from mania by the absence of psychotic symptoms and by its lower degree of impact on functioning. Hypomania is a feature of bipolar II disorder and cyclothymia, but can also occur in schizoaffective disorder. Hypomania is sometimes credited with increasing creativity and productive energy. A significant number of people with creative talents have reportedly experienced hypomania or other symptoms of bipolar disorder and attribute their success to it. Classic symptoms of hypomania include mild euphoria, a flood of ideas, endless energy, and a desire and drive for success. A lesser form of hypomania is called hyperthymia."

people with bipolar 2 have hypomania alternating with clinical depression whereas people with bipolar 1 get full blown manias alternating with depression.

03/11/2011 10:07 AM
CatV1967
CatV1967  

Thank you, very informative. I think I may fit this category. CAtv

03/11/2011 12:42 PM
JennMo
JennMo  

I have been diagnoised bipolar, but my current doctor seems like he's questioning the doctors and therapists before him. Now, I'm questioning myself! I feel much like you and have the same type of episodes. Who knows?

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved