MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/21/2010 05:58 PM

dream about my therapist

willowwisp

ok.. so this is embarrassing... I had a "relationship" type dream about my therapist... there was no sex.. but definitely attraction, and we did kiss in the dream.... (no.. I am not attracted to him.. he is quite a bit older than me.. a devout christian, and frankly.. not my type.. )

I told him about it in my therapy session... I told him because I think being open and honest with your therapist is an important part of therapy...He seemed to think it was a healthy sign of our "relationship" developing... he meant it in the "patient/therapist" way....

My question is.. has anyone else had a dream about their therapist? Do you think I should have kept that to myself? I'm feeling really uncomfortable about it now... I'm just embarrassed.. Sad

12/21/2010 07:53 PM
dancalgary
dancalgary  

I have not, it may because I am a man and he is a man. Plus he is a little to old for me Smile... I do not think you should be embarrassed at all. I am very proud of you sharing your dream with him, that was a very smart decision. You are very right to be open and honest with him, how can you get better if you don't. And what he said makes perfect sense. Remember we cannot control our dreams.........

12/21/2010 09:39 PM
itjustmightbealunatic

my therapist is HOTTTTTT!!!!! but i'm married and i realize it's just a fantasy...so i let myself have the crush but i know it's nothing. maybe you wish you had a an attraction to your therapist because hey..would make going to the dr. fun.

12/21/2010 09:43 PM
sarahnicole7

this makes me smile because i have had an ongoing crush on my therapist haha. but haven't told ANYONE. till just now. ... in the past i had always had women therapists but when i moved the only available person was a male. i was hesitant at first but he is actually probably the best one i've had. like in ur situation.. im not really attracted type to him.. but i just smile when i go see him and feel all flirty like. not in a sexual way but just giddy i guess lol ... kinda silly.

i think its good that you opened up to him about it just b/c i always think if you are comfortable about sharing it..then share it.. lol but i dont think i could tell mine about it ! ah haha lol im not embarrassed i just dont want our patient/therapist relationship to turn 'weird' ya know?

but i've been there. lol but i think its kind of a good thing.. i mean - i think its showing me... from a guys point of view and everything.. there are guys out there who are not jerks (to put it in nice words lol) and everything.

12/22/2010 01:53 AM
hedap

Hey Willow,

It's actually common for people to get 'crushes' on therapists and pdocs. A little harmless fantasy never hurt anyone. I wouldn't be embarassed, getting it out there in a way just protects you from acting on your dream.

hugs, heather

12/22/2010 03:18 AM
illonasophia
illonasophiaPosts: 149

My last MDpsych helped me so much and really listened and was my type. I just never went there since I needed him for meds.

12/22/2010 03:39 AM
skullhappy
skullhappy  

I wouldn't worry about it: It's just a dream, and we can't control dreams (well, you CAN, but most people don't lucid dream...). so relax. As long as you don't act upon it, it's all good.

12/22/2010 08:26 AM
willowwisp

well.. I'm glad other's have been there... and that it's ok.. I will admit though, I am a bit embarassed... I have to see him tonight,and I'm really uncomfortable about going... I'm sure it will be ok once I make it through the first few "post confession" appointments...

12/22/2010 10:27 AM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I haven't been there yet..... Shes older than me and I think it would freak me out some.

12/22/2010 11:03 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I think that you did the right thing in telling your therapist. That's what they are there for. Like he said, a sign of the relationship developing healthily. No need to be embarrassed. Dreams are dreams and you don't have any control over them. This is perfectly normal.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved