MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/17/2010 03:53 AM

Drinking

sway

I want to have a drink so bad but know I should not with all the meds I'm on. Does anyone else feel this way or even do it?

12/17/2010 04:41 AM
mem4809

I don't drink but I have had other addictions and I would tell myself just how good I'd feel if I didn't give into it. An one drink can lead to more, so if you are on a roll try and stick with it. Also ask yourself why you want to drink and see if there is an underlying problem that you can deal with in another healthy way.

Janna

12/17/2010 07:18 AM
brneyegirl

Before I was medicated properly I leaned on alcohol a little too much. I had a huge urge to drink when things were still not stable, but felt so bad the next day when I did. You aren't alone in wanting that drink. Hang in there.

12/17/2010 08:30 AM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I did the same thing until I got on meds. Now I don't have any urge to drink at all. Its been over 6 years since I drank any alcohol. Meds do wonders Smile

Post edited by: RickEJ, at: 12/17/2010 08:31 AM

12/17/2010 09:15 AM
brandib811
brandib811  
VIP Member

I occasionally feel the urge to drink. I try to stop and ask myself why I want to drink and if there's anything else I can do to take my mind off of it.

12/17/2010 12:07 PM
getfitwithjohn

I have a glass of wine once a week as I have had for most of my life. I really do not drink per se, I had my run in college and HS. Once I was married and we became more observant, every Friday, we traditionally make a blessing over the wine and share a bottle of wine. We ussualy have a houseful so its usually a couple of ounces. Doc says its ok even with the meds. other than that I really have no alcolhol craving. I never really abuse drugs or alcohol as part of my disease. I over exercised, dieted, and shopped. Shopping is a real killer esspecially when the bills start to roll in.

12/17/2010 01:08 PM
ZuzuPetals
ZuzuPetals  

I will have 1-2 drinks most days. I don't see a problem with it if it's under control. I don't get drunk. My doctors don't see any problem with it. For me, it was how I was raised. I was raised in an enviroment where you had wine with dinner. Of course it depends on your history with drinking and the reasons why you feel the urge to drink. I think in our situation it is important to monitor drinking alcohol because I can see how it can get out of hand very quickly.

12/17/2010 03:17 PM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

yeah I abused whatever I could so I didn't have to feel anything or feel depressed.

I had a lot more issues I was dealing with besides BPII things i would go to another forum if I had to deal with them again.

For me meds took the place of everything else and it works. I could probably drink though I choose not to because I had a bad incident taking tofranol. I passed out cold after only 2 beers. I was shaking and sweaty. Freaked all of us out. Thats the last time I drank on meds. I never want that to happen again.

12/17/2010 04:23 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I rarely drink, but when I do I have about 3-4 apple martinis and I'm fine with my medications. I'm sure it's not the best thing to do, but as long as you don't do it all the time, I don't see a problem with it. Just my opinion.

12/19/2010 10:46 AM
DinoDarius
DinoDarius  

I don't drink that often. Even though I shouldn't be doing it period. I sometimes drink but it's not like that.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved