MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/04/2008 04:50 PM

sleeping pill

takinglifeonepillatatime

I haven't been sleeping for a couple of weeks now so Iam going to ask my pdoc for a sleeping pill. Does anyone have any experiences with the ones out there.If so do you like it and does it work?

Post edited by: takinglifeonepillatatime, at: 11/04/2008 16:51

11/04/2008 08:02 PM
Jessy
SpazyJess  
VIP Member

Ambien has been working for me, but the only problem with that med is it has the potential to be habit forming.

11/04/2008 11:23 PM
Colleenj
Colleenj  
VIP Member

Well Tylenol PM works for me, but I quit taking it because of the rest of the meds. I've been on Ambien, but it didn't work at all. I currently take Lunesta which works sometimes but not all the time. The pdoc also gave me Seroquel for sleep and it works as long as you don't mind feeling like you got hit by a truck when you wake up.

I just woke up for the day, so "last night" is the first time I slept more than 3 or 4 hours in over 2 weeks. I accomplished that when I felt the anxiety coming on (my other disorder) and took 1mg of Ativan. I'm also taking Darvocet for my knee right now and the combo of the two is probably why I was able to get 7 hours. I actually feel good; I might even do some housework today! LOL!

11/05/2008 04:16 AM
ThisBlows
ThisBlowsPosts: 1467

I took ambien for a while and had no problems sleeping, the problem was getting up in the morning lol.

My wife takes another one (lorazenpam? I think thats how its spelled), that also works really, really good. But she has to be careful of when she takes it or she doesnt get up in the am either.

11/05/2008 05:47 AM
biPOLARBEAR2
biPOLARBEAR2  

I think I was on trazadone (dont quote me or my spelling) for a bit. i'm not really sure if it worked or not. i'm thinking of taking it again to see if it helps. I dont stay up all night, many nights i will actuall get 6-7 hours. but there are those days where at 5am i'm still like WTH.

11/05/2008 11:49 AM
SCC
JGG  

I have a new one that I recently got Vistaril 50mg and it is not suppose to be habit forming, and there there is the old stand by ADAVAN, Even with my 400mg dose of Seraquol I have not slept for several nights with out waking up every hour.

11/05/2008 01:15 PM
Jessy
SpazyJess  
VIP Member

Glad you're feeling better ColleenSmile I've tried Trazodone (made me irritable and sometimes gave me that hung over feeling), Seroquel (25mg which didn't do anything), Lunesta (didn't work) and over the counter stuff which I really don't like to take (melatonin and Tylenol pm), but it all goes back to the fact that everyone handles meds differently, no matter what kind of med(s) you're taking. It's good to know what your options are at the same time. I used to have problems getting to sleep and sometimes waking up at weird times (butt early in the morning per example), but Ambien has been such a life saver, knock on wood! And there's a generic form which really helps with the co-pay part, except for Ambien CR (I don't take that version).

Post edited by: Jessy, at: 11/05/2008 13:20

Post edited by: Jessy, at: 11/13/2008 17:36

11/05/2008 01:18 PM
Jessy
SpazyJess  
VIP Member

Another incoming thought. I've also heard Remeron is a good sleep aid, which has antidepressant properties like Trazodone, but it can make you gain weight.

Post edited by: Jessy, at: 11/05/2008 13:22

11/05/2008 03:21 PM
takinglifeonepillatatime

I was on remeron for about 6 months it really didnt help, One of the major side effects because of it is weight gain. That was one of the reasons I was put on it. I was not eating and lost 15 pounds before taking it but while taking it I put on 20.

11/13/2008 11:43 AM
crlynkub
crlynkub  

My doctor has me take 2 xanax before bed and I sleep alot deeper. The only thing is that in the morning I am really groggy.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved