MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/24/2010 08:31 PM

Family members not accepting your diagnosis?

allthatglitters
allthatglitters  

Has anyone else had trouble with close family members telling you that you don't have bipolar II? My mom keeps telling me it was a misdiagnosis and diagnosing me with less stigmatized disorders that I do not have. She's really against meds in general and keeps telling me that I shouldn't take them.

This isn't the first time we've had this problem. When I was a teenager she didn't believe I had an eating disorder even though I clearly did, was diagnosed, and anyone else in my life thought it was obvious that I did. She still questions whether getting me treated (therapy, not meds) was the right choice even though I was barely functional at the time and have since recovered.

It makes me angry because I know it's not an easy diagnosis to accept, but I'm doing my part to accept it and move forward in the right direction. I've been patient but it's getting difficult. I've explained the causes, symptoms, and treatment many times. I've told her that I know she cares but I need to proper treatment. I've told her that meds take awhile to figure out. I've told her that she doesn't know all of my symptoms in the past because there's a lot that I'm ashamed of and that she wouldn't want to hear about.

What else can I do?

10/24/2010 10:47 PM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

My family understands something is wrong they just don't know anything about BP so we never talk about it. Even my Mom that lives with me doesn't understand it she just goes with the flow of my moods. My aunt doesn't accept it but I'm OK with that. I guess for some its just east to deny it than it is to accept.

10/25/2010 12:36 AM
luna87
luna87  

my mom doesn't believe there is anything as bipoar and I'm just lazy, moody and bitchy.

when I got irritable, aggitated and probably in a hyper mood I tended to get violent and I used to act out my irritation by physically beating my sis/brother up, leaving them with scars and all that (over things like them changing the radio station), and she used to ask 'WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU'.

After I got diagnosed and was taking my pills and stablleish my brother and I had a verbal aguement and he punched me in the jaw, i just walked away. This should have told her that the meds were working (for whatever it was, even BIPOLAR), but she still sys it doesnt exist.

This weekend I was exorcised of my 'demons' by a friend of mine(pharmacy studend) who is saved and speaks in toungs (so I guess I'm healed and dont need my pills, I wish it was just that simple). Oh, and a religious seer told me that I was sick, but atleast she didnt tell me to quit my pills. I didnt go to these people by the way, my aunt sent me to the healer.

atleast these people now something is wrong (sort of). it's just my mom that needs convincing

10/25/2010 03:32 AM
jeany

Yes I have struggled with family being in denial. It took me a long time to drill into my family that I have been suicidal in the past and that its related to a bipolar illness.

They have finally excepted it but they still don;t fully support my treatment with medication.

I think they do this because they are still holding onto hope that I am fine and healthy and nothing is wrong. I think that they think that my symptoms are not that serious and that I'm just confusing them with normal emotions.

Its very frustrating but I'm working on it. This year was a really bad year for me and I just had to reiterate over and over that I might die if they don;t accept my condition and support me, and that seemed to work to some extent. They still often say everything i go through is "normal" though.

Its a struggle, I hope your family members come around and can fully support you as you go through this journey. You will always have us at MD junction though!!

10/25/2010 07:26 AM
Lisacomisa
LisacomisaPosts: 903

OMG yes. I have two brothers that think I am just lazy and artistic. My brother keeps telling me not to take medication and to just exercise and I will feel fine. I exercise but he thinks if I run marathons I will be cured. My other brother doesn't even care to know what bipolar is and makes fun of people calling everyone bipolar like it is nothing and everyone has it. It is very frustrating because I can never count on them to understand.

10/25/2010 08:31 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

My family knows, they believe me, they say nothing about my medications except one that believes they help. None understand it though, but at least I have some support. My dad thinks if I just think positively, it will fix everything. I hope that in time they will come to accept your diagnosis.

10/25/2010 09:53 AM
allthatglitters
allthatglitters  

Wow, I didn't know this was such a common problem. Thanks for sharing! I'm going to try to continue to be patient and stick with what I need to do without trying to justify everything.

10/25/2010 10:37 AM
Lisacomisa
LisacomisaPosts: 903

That sounds very healthy!

10/25/2010 10:47 AM
cbmmom5

Hi everyone, My hubby is kind of like that too. It is more of a don't ask don't tell type of think. He mentioned before that he think my doc doesn't know what he is doing by just trying me on all differnt drugs. I told him that it is a trial and error until he gets them right. He tries to be understanding. Connie

10/25/2010 01:42 PM
sarahnicole7

yeah no one in my family really understands. they think i just need to be more positive or exercise more or just 'snap out of it' SURE. that works Wink lol

i used to get upset about it, but now i just have accepted that they dont have to understand. i just reach out to my counselors and people on here that understand. also i have a friend who isn't bipolar but her mother is, so she gets it.

its hard dealing with something alone

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved