MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/23/2010 10:17 AM

how long does it take to recover from an episode?

bennyw
bennyw  

hey all,

i went through a very deep depression/mixed episode over the summer and was put on seroquel xr. i'm now up to 600mg and although i'm not acutely ill as i was, my moods are still quite difficult. depressed at times. anxious at times. a little numb at times. i also have good days, here and there, as happened a few days ago for a couple of days.

i'm not sure how to conceptualise what's going on with me. i've been on seroquel for much longer than the expected 6 weeks it takes to get to full effect. then again i've heard it can take a very long time to recover from depression (a mental health nurse told me it can take for as long as you were depressed...which in retrospect was around 6-8 months.

the last pdoc i saw rather callously i thought brushed over the problems i continue to have. i'd like the next pdoc i have to see me as being an 'incomplete' response to the medication honestly. i think i should have a voice in what meds get put in me and i'd really like to try lamictal and then titrate down my seroquel. i like it's low side effect profile and i'd like to avoid being on a relatively high dose of anti-psychotic if possible.

anyway, any thoughts on that spiel would be valued Smile

ben

Post edited by: bennyw, at: 10/23/2010 10:18 AM

10/23/2010 11:02 AM
willowwisp

wow... I had NO idea that it took that long for you to recover from depression.. Sad that is a very bleak prognosis for me... I was depressed for years before getting treatment...

10/23/2010 11:56 AM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I was depressed for about 30 years before I for started treatment. Although we have had a hard time treating it we were successful for long periods of time with Lamictal and Zoloft.

Now its Lamictal, Lithium, and Prozac. It didn't take nearly as long for me to get stable for how long I was depressed. This last depression lasted 2 months and was mild. It took 1 month for the higher dose of Lamictal & Lithium to stop the depression.

My opinion is you need to be on something else. You should have a say in what you put in your body. I discuss all my meds with my pdoc and we make decisions together as to what meds to take.

10/23/2010 12:15 PM
willowwisp

well.. that makes me feel much better, Rick... thank you..

10/23/2010 12:20 PM
NicoleLynn
NicoleLynn  

I agree with Rick that medication decisions should be made together with your pdoc...I have learned first hand that it is important to self advocate. High doses of anti-psychotics are not so fun and can have long term side effects. I am on a low dose of Seroquel but it is due in part to hallucinations that I have when I have panic attacks.

I know that my depression recovery times take a while depending on how intense they are and the support I have. In the past when I was recovering from depressive episodes I would enter into an outpatient program and it would help a bit, but once I was discharged from that and had to return to work the recovery slowed and took a while. Now I have SSDI so I am able to focus on my recovery and not worry about returning to work right away.

I hope you are able to figure everything out and feel better!

10/23/2010 12:41 PM
bennyw
bennyw  

thanks for the advice guys,

does anyone else have a hard time weighing all the different pieces of information we have about our condition? i'd like to think that pdocs can put it all together but i think possibly treating this condition is as much trial and error as anything.

rick it's good to hear you echo what i think about additional meds. mate i know you've been through a lot and have a lot of experience in it so i value your opinion a lot.

tonight is a bit sad for me as i watch my friends go to a club night that i would usually have lapped-up. i'm trying to accept that all of that's not for me anymore but it does make me feel sad/detached from my group of friends.

oh well...

Post edited by: bennyw, at: 10/23/2010 12:45 PM

10/23/2010 03:29 PM
bennyw
bennyw  

that's a good reccomendation cheryl...i may well track my moods. if i can't control them, maybe i can predict them and understand what's going on.

i'm in a bit of a halfway house with my pdoc care at the moment. last saw someone 2 weeks ago and yet to get a referral in london. as i'm still pretty close to being very ill, i think this is a long time not to see someone...so i'm quite short on advice and - yeah - care at the moment

10/23/2010 04:12 PM
bennyw
bennyw  

hey wolfsongcheryl,

i hear what you're saying it's just my moods aren't very bad at the moment, i'm not having to 'survive', i'm having to 'cope' at times. i just think i should have a pdoc's eye on me at the moment as i'm not stable yet.

going to bed now Smile

night

10/23/2010 04:22 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I've had a depression my whole life. When I first saw my psychiatrist, he put me on an anti-psychotic Geodon and Lamictal. That helped but Geodon, made me very tired, so he prescribed a stimulant. I was still very depressed. He added Lexapro and it went away. It was amazing. For the first time, I was not depressed. Do you take an antidepressant? If you don't, I would try one. I agree in both the doctor and the patient agreeing on what medications will be taken. I hope you are able to get to the point you want to be.

04/08/2012 08:27 PM
mariah10

Some times it does take months for a person to come out of depression episode. It was hard for me as well to like you becuse, I had the axiety and aggitation with it to. For me it took me three months to come out of my depression stage. With the medications you are on start out at a high does and as you get better your pdoc can gradualy lower your does. Hang in there things will get better have hope. Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved