MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/15/2008 10:52 PM

Everything can not be bp related

thomasmark60

Hi all,

just wanted to vent for a minute. It seems that everytime I am in a bad mood or the kids are getting on my nerves, the first question out of my wife's mouth is "Did you take your meds?" I have tried to explain that these are not magic pills that make my whole life beautiful, but she doesn't get it. Even thugh I am BP, life events still effect me. Does anyone else have this problem with a significant other or can they offer any advice?

Thanks

Mark

10/16/2008 01:43 AM
Colleenj
Colleenj  
VIP Member

Mark,

I have only had that happen one time and it was an honest question. But I understand what you mean; it's kind of like asking a woman in a bad mood if she's on her period. It's a little condesending (sp?)

Just tell her that you don't think it's a fair question and try talking it out with her.

Colleen

10/16/2008 01:47 AM
lamdough

I know exactly what you mean, if someone knows you have bipolar disorder suddenly in their eyes you are no longer allowed to express emotions.

10/16/2008 04:41 AM
ThisBlows
ThisBlowsPosts: 1467

Ok, these are all fair statements, but then again there have been times where my wife has gone totaly off over something stupid (and most of our arguments these days are over something stupif) and then after she's calmed down admitted that she hasnt taken her meds.

I can understand how this can get to be annoying, but dont you think its a fair question?

10/16/2008 04:45 AM
Colleenj
Colleenj  
VIP Member

I can't speak for anyone else, only myself. The questions and comments that came up in this thread are the reason I chose to go back to therapy. I can't always tell the difference between what is my own crap, things that I have control over, and what is the BP.

I feel like it takes some work and self-examination to make this determination and do something about behavior I can control.

Just my $.02.

Colleen

10/16/2008 05:52 AM
Bubba
BubbaPosts: 17

Same here, Mark.

I've learned to just say yes and let it go. It's not easy to do, you really have to work at it. Drinking alcohol lessens the effectiveness of the meds too, so that is like missing a dose or two. I know I'm not suppose to drink, but hey.....don't take everything away. Hang in there.

Bubba

10/16/2008 06:13 AM
thomasmark60

Yeah Bubba,

I over indulge at times. I don't like to becauxe like you said, it messes with the meds. I don't seem to enjoy it as much anymore. But yeah, I can't be blamed because I have asked the kids 15 times to turn their bedroom light off and then when I walk by it's on. Iv'e tried all the fining and taking of privelage crap. It only worked for one. Doesn't matter. As long as you get my point.

Mark

10/16/2008 06:17 AM
ThisBlows
ThisBlowsPosts: 1467

Take the light bulbs.... worked for me lol.

10/16/2008 06:28 AM
thomasmark60

Take the light bulbs?

Mark

10/16/2008 06:30 AM
thomasmark60

Oh. Got ya.

Mark

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved