MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/18/2010 10:38 PM

Meds for life?

BrokenEagle
BrokenEagle  

I just read something that once you are bipolar it will only get worse as time goes on. Is this true? Will I have to be on meds for the rest of my life? I was just diagnosed bipolar, before it was major depression and anxiety. I thought I would be able to get to a point I could control it without meds but now that it has been changed to bipolar what do I do? How do I live like this forever?

08/18/2010 10:41 PM
BrokenEagle
BrokenEagle  

It's bipolar II. Sorry I'm still not used to this.

08/18/2010 11:02 PM
SCarlson

broken Eagle,

I don't know about your case, but many of us are lifers.Even before I was dignosed with BP II my doc sat me down after probably my 3rd depresive episode and tol me I would probably never be un medicated. How we live is just take our meds and keep up with our docs. I know it sucks to have to take meds. to feel stable. Hang in there!

Stacey

08/18/2010 11:27 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Bipolar is not cureable but it is manageable with the proper meds. Unless they find a cure I know my meds are for life, there's no way of managing this disorder without the proper treatment. It's alot of trial and error but stability is an acheivable goal and one you can attain with meds that don't make you feel yucky or take away your personality. I have been stable for over a year now and my meds don't effect me in any negative way that was my number one goal. Good luck! Wink

08/18/2010 11:33 PM
Jessie69

Hello - my name is Judy I can't sleep I have BP I .. However I think I have another problem unless this goes with the BP I have aches and pains so bad and my feet swell and my heels hurt so bad in the morning I can hardly get up.. Any clues???

08/18/2010 11:45 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

What meds are you on? Is it possible you are having a side effect from something? I'm sorry you are suffering. Sad Big gentle hugs

08/18/2010 11:46 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

You should contact your dr when they open and see if they can see you.

08/19/2010 12:58 AM
bennyw
bennyw  

hey broken eagle,

i've only just being diagnosed and the a) meds for life b) it only gets worse things are really scary for me as well.

i think i'm getting used to a). i used to take asthma medication daily until my asthma improved and i now do not...so just think of it like any other bodily need (or try to...i think these things take time).

and as to b)...i asked my pdoc that very question and he said that 'the greater the amount of time you are depressed/[hypo]manic, the more you are likely to be depressed/manic in the future'. he said drugs could keep us out of the extremes of those stages and stem the course of the illness.

...from what I've read everyone's clinical course is different. sadly some people become very poorly/treatment resistant (remember, there are lots of treatments before it gets to that stage) whilst others have a less turbulent course & continue to do well on the drugs for long periods of time.

the only starting place (i think) is to try to get better from where you're at...there are people on here with some years of stability behind them so it's very achievable...

...i also don't know how young you are (I'm 25) but medical science is progressing quickly and I'm hopeful that in my lifetime new treatments will come onstream that can help us manage our condition...

08/19/2010 01:21 AM
cirquepourvous
cirquepourvousPosts: 1710

morning broken eagle - i can understand your despair but i think the proper diagnosis is the beginning of hope. yes, it's very likely that meds are now part of your life and will be. but the good news is that when you find the right combination of meds and take them, you will feel better. additionally new medications are always being developed. in my case i now take abilify and have been able to replace about 3 meds with this one.

i don't believe that bipolar necessarily has to get worse. meds will control your symptoms and you can enjoy long periods of stability. additionally, you can help yourself by becoming aware of what you can do to deal with bipolar. things like regular exercise, therapy, meditation, proper sleep and diet all will help.

you won't live like this forever. you will feel better. give yourself time and be kind to yourself.

08/19/2010 06:07 AM
beautifulmind
beautifulmind  

Broken Eagle,

It's okay to feel scared sometimes. That's what we are here for. As far as the lifetime of meds thing; yes it can be frustrating that we cannot be cured with a magic pill. However, it is vital that you work closely with your pdoc to develop a plan tailored to you. I am sure that you will soon find a combination of meds that helps you without making you feel drugged. That is the goal. I wish you luck and in the meantime we are here for youSmile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved