MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/30/2010 07:49 AM

sleeping advice???

bennyw
bennyw  

hey guys,

i'm after some wisdom from my fellow bipolars on what i should do about my sleep at the moment.

with the help of seroquel, i feel im coming out of a major depressive episode and as well as a mixed episode - thought realistically i think im still in them.

at the moment, my sleeping generally consists of

- taking my seroquel 300xr at 7

- feeling drowsy (and a little anxious) from 7 - 10ish

- feeling a little sleepy from 10 onwards

- trying to sleep without a sleeping pill (hypnotic: zimovane/zopiclone)

- waking up a couple of hours later with racing thoughts

- taking my sleeping pill and getting patchy sleep usually until 12 or a little later

This means im sleeping/resting for about half the day.

Is this good and what I need considering I'm still coming through an acute phase or should I try to shorten my sleep to more predictable hours (given I see to be out the desperate 'i must sleep as being awake is to painful' phase...I THINK!)?

Also, sleeping tablets. Not too hot about taking them every night but my mental health nurse/pdoc seem happy enough with them at the moment. What do you guys think? Don't like taking pills at all really though I know I can hardly be sanctimonious on this issue now I'm bp2!

Ta,

Ben

Post edited by: bennyw, at: 07/30/2010 07:51 AM

07/30/2010 08:37 AM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

hi Ben,

What I have found helpful is to have a routine. I go to sleep every night at the same time and wake up at the same time. If I have to take something than I do.

I'm not too keen on taking pills either though they help me stay on more stable ground.

07/30/2010 11:12 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

The routine sounds like a good idea to me. I would take the sleeping pill everyday and wake up earlier. It seems you are sleeping too late in the day because you stay up too late and you wake up later and then take the sleeping pill. Just my opinion. I hope you can get this figured out. It's not fun playing around with sleep.

07/30/2010 11:21 AM
FatherKarras
FatherKarras  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

A routine, and don't hang around in your bedroom during the day. You teach your body that the bedroom is only for sleeping, so that when you go in there at night, your body knows it's time to sleep.

07/30/2010 11:43 AM
getfitwithjohn

Agree that routine is the best approach. I also take seroquel, My doc prescribed an extra 50 mg for those edgy nights I can not sleep. If that does not work its on to ambien. You are not alone about taking medications, we all hate it, be they regulate what our bodies are missing. My doc told me , chemicals are discovered to improve our lives. I look at my meds now as improvements for my well being. Very simplistic, but I feel better that there is a philosiphy of wellness to hold onto.

Unfortunately for many of us with BP, we feel like a constant chemistry experiment.

07/30/2010 12:00 PM
bennyw
bennyw  

thanks for the advice guys...i think im going to instigate an 11 - 8 sleeping pattern (8 was the time i was going to work before i came off on sick leave).

getfitwithjohn...you're probably right about leaving the room. i guess i just feel reluctant because it's been my sanctuary as i've gotten through a major depression...when i've been really bad i've just come up here and sort of 'knuckled down' to a computer game or written poetry or something distracting.

probably militates against sleep though...gonna have to step out of this bedroom centred living soon though...part of me is sort of 'waiting for the medication to work' but (especially if changes are going to need to be had) i could be waiting for months!

So, yeah, change in my sleep pattern and probably other areas are gonna have to come...

Thx for the advice guys

ben

07/30/2010 01:48 PM
jenigood1
jenigood1  

Hi, bennyw, welcome!

Here's what I've heard:

No TV in the bedroom; no computers, etc. No reading or working in bed. The bedroom is for sleeping and sex only.

Exercise helps get you tired, but not within an hour or two of bedtime.

No caffeine, of course, and don't eat too close to bedtime.

It's okay to read something before retiring, but don't use the computer or watch TV just before bad; the light is too stimulating.

When you get up to go to the bathroom, don't turn on the light! It messes with your sleep cycle. This is important. If the room is too dark, get a nightlight but not a blue or white one - it does the same thing, making your body think it's time to get up. Look for a reddish or orangey one - or at least one with an incandescent bulb rather than LED. Too bluish. ("Funny, you don't look bluish" - what movie is that from? Hint - it's animated.)

I hope some of this helps you; and I'm lending you my sleepy duck. Stare at him until you start to yawn...works every time!

07/30/2010 01:54 PM
hedap

Great advice Jeni.

I never knew that about the color of the nightlight, very interesting. thanks for sharing. I have fibro/fatigue and struggle w/ sleep issues most of the time, so I appreciate everyone sharing. hedap xx

07/30/2010 03:05 PM
bennyw
bennyw  

gwah...i wish that the bedroom could be for the other thing as well as sleeping!!! lol sadly I'm w/out girlfriend at the moment.

think i'll go to bed on that comment...as a thousand tiny violins play!

07/30/2010 03:17 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Good luck with the sleeping, I also suffer from Fibro among other things. Have you checked out the Fibro Group yet? It's awesome over there, very supportive, upbeat and comforting group that's there for you for anything and you will always get help there as well with very positive people. I take all my meds at bedtime but what helps me the most with my sleep issues is my Klonopin & Zanaflex combo it's a muscle relaxer. I also keep my room very dark yet serene and as Jeni said I don't put the light on for middle of the night breaks. Hugs, Stacey Wink

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved