MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/18/2010 07:51 AM

DENIAL LETTER

jkm2010

I am quoting from the letter i received.

We have determined your condition was not disabling on any date through 6/30/08, when your were last insured for disabilty benefits.

In decideing this , we considered medical records, your statements and how your condition affected your ability to work".

Ok, I was applying for SSi because I haven`t worked much my entire life, but they told me I qualified for disabilty , not SSI if found

diabled before 2008.

So does this letter mean I don`t even qualify for SSI for AFTER 2008?

07/18/2010 07:52 AM
jkm2010

iF YOU WANT TO READ THE WHOLE STORY GO OVER TO THE

Social Security Disability Advice Group

i AM SO CONFUSED, IT SEEMS THEY ARE SAYING THEY DID NOT FINDME DISABLED BEFORE AND TO 6/08 WHICH WAS WHEN I STILL HAD CREDIT ENOUGH FOR DISABILY IF APPROVED.

i KNEW THAT IF THEY FOUND ME DISABLED after 2008 i WOULD ONLY GET SSI, so where in the letter does it state they did not find me disabled right to the present? most of my medical records STARTED in 2008.

Post edited by: jkm2010, at: 07/18/2010 07:53 AM

07/18/2010 08:02 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I know next to nothing about SSI and disability, but I'm looking forward to others' replies so I can learn more about it. It doesn't state anything about 6/08 to present, just prior.

I find it a confusing letter. I hope that you can get to the bottom of this and get it figured out. This has got to be frustrating to you. I hope it gets worked out in your favor. Stay strong. Hugs

07/18/2010 09:45 AM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

They are stating that according to your medical records and what they have reviewed they find that you are not disabled. It has to be proven without a shadow of a doubt to them that there is no chance you are able to work any type of job leaving you disabled from work otherwise you can't win with them. If they feel you can do anything at all in the national economy they will prove it and you get denied. Both ssdi and ssi are very difficult to win people think ssi may be easier but it's not because it's gvmnt funded. I'm sorry, Good luck!

07/18/2010 10:35 AM
jkm2010

Stacey, but why does it state "we did not find you disabled up to 2008? what about after 2008?

07/18/2010 11:21 AM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

You weren't qualified for the time time that you did have ss coverage is what they are saying and I think they automatically ruled you out for ssi benefits as well. They usually process ssi before ssdi that's how they did mine even though I told them I was not applying for ssi only ssdi they told me they run everybody through for ssi qualification first to see if you qualify and then proceed for ssdi which it sounds from that letter is what they attempted to do for you. You were trying for ssi but when they couldn't get it they continued on with the app to see if you qualified for any benefits for ssdi. That's just my take on it from going through it. You may want to call them tomorrow and ask for clarification but from my experience and talking with many others that's usually how it's been done. If it's only your first denial you can appeal the ssi. With ssi they go by total household income and total assets and other things when figuring qualifications I think it's all listed on their site as well as if they feel you are unable to work. If you are married and your husband makes even $1 too much you won't get it, it's like a poverty level benefit. If you qualify with every other thing involved for ssi then just keep fighting make sure your drs are backing you up don't let them discourage you if you need this. Are you filing for more than one illness? I had almost a two year battle even with all of my illnesses, a team of over 16 drs with med records and personal letters backing me up I finally won at the court hearing where I finally just got a lawyer. Hang in there. Wink

07/18/2010 12:46 PM
jkm2010

Can I change my disabilty date?

07/18/2010 01:53 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I don't think you need to and you wouldn't want to at this point it would make them question you. Do you know for a fact that you qualify under the guidelines for SSI?

07/18/2010 04:30 PM
jkm2010

Well , yes I have zero income, a family friend supports me.

And he himself is on disabilty for his back, he rented a 2 bedroom place just so I wouldn`t be homeless , again I have no income .

So I think that means I would qualify for SSI if approved.

07/18/2010 04:45 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Yeah if you have no income, own nothing in your name that could be converted to cash (assets) etc then it sounds like you meet the guidelines. Like I said though they do the SSI app first before the SSDI so it sounds like they probably denied them both. You really need to contact Social Security tomorrow morning to get the specifics and then you will know if you need to appeal the decision. Is this the first denial?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved