MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/06/2010 01:28 PM

Be really careful in the heat-

purplegirl
purplegirl  

It so hot on the east coast. when i was checking the weather i came across "heat advisory" as in try to stay cool to avoid heat related illness such as heat exhaustion and heat stroke ( which can be very dangerous)

It also said ( or linked- can't remember) that people with mental illness are at higher risk for these. some meds like antipsychotics and i'm not sure what else can effect our ability to regulate our temperature and we might not be able to cool down efficiently or enough.

it also pointed out that many dealing with mental illness may struggle financially and have no air conditioning.go to a public library or mall and call your city/town- they may have places set up to escape the heat.

most of all- do NOT wait to feel thirsty. drink fluids they said but no caffeine, alcohol or sugary drinks- they said these could make it worse.

so take care of yourselves everyone!

purplegirl cares!

07/06/2010 02:18 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Wow, I didn't even think of those things. Thanks for posting this. It's hot on the west coast too, but we get it every year. I will look out for signs of heat exhaustion and heat stroke now! Stay strong. Hugs

07/07/2010 03:18 AM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Yes some of the A-typical anti-psychotic medications like Zyprexa have an effect on the hypothalamus which helps control body temp. I'm not sure what other meds do. I'm on Zyprexa so I can tell you that in extreme heat I get hot really fast, sweat a lot and have to drink fluids constantly. I do a lot of outside work on the week ends and have to take many breaks so I don't overheat. lol sounds like I'm talking about a car.. Pinch doh!

Anyway its good practice to be aware of your body at all times when out in the heat. Dizziness, nausea, headache, lack of sweat, are all signs that you need to get into a cool place. Staying hydrated. Drink at least 3 8oz glasses of fluid an hour, stay away from caffeinated drinks and alcohol.

This is what I have learned. It may not be totally accurate but its pretty close. Another thing to remember is sun screen. Some meds make your skin sun sensitive and you can get a bad sunburn really fast.

I learned this the hard way.

07/07/2010 03:54 AM
SteffieY
SteffieY  

I never knew this! Thanks for the information.

It has been so hot and humid here in northern Michigan. I can't wait for it to break. I like warm, but the humidity with it is a killer!!

HUGS

07/07/2010 02:07 PM
Sunspyder

Oh, God....If only someone had told me how photosensitive my skin would be because of my meds prior to this weekend! I went out on the boat with my family on Sunday and I am sooooo sunburned and itchy. I cannot describe my misery. The itchiness is worst than the sunburn pain. I thought that maybe I was reacting to the Lamictal, then read that being itchy accompanied bad sunburns.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved