MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/05/2010 05:23 AM

To help with understanding

kaycee
kaycee  

I wish that the majority of people understood the difference between Bipolar I and Bipolar II. I feel hurt by people's assumptions and this is why I looked to others with my disorder. I wanted to see how many people feel isolated, or misunderstood. I'm not delusional or paranoid, but when people learn of my disorder, they assume I'm schizophrenic. It is hard to deal with the ups and downs emotionally and at times I feel anxious, but I'm in no way delusional. I end up keeping my illness a secret in fear of losing friends. I also get frustrated with my own family when I have a ditzy moment and they ask me if I'm taking my meds. It's so upsetting that some of the people I love, don't understand me. It saddens me. I understand the rapid thoughts come off as rambling, so I'm trying to learn to control it by trying to stay on one subject for atleast a few minutes. I just think fast at times and end up switching subjects left and right. This is the hardest thing to deal with because if I'm rambling, one of my own sisters thinks it means I'm off my meds. But I'm not.

Post edited by: kaycee, at: 07/05/2010 05:30 AM

07/05/2010 05:42 AM
llb
llb  

Welcome to the group. I understand totally how you feel. I have always been accused of trying to get attention or they ignore me. You are not alone. Im new also but now I feel that I am not totally alone because of this group. Have a good day!

LLB

07/05/2010 06:02 AM
kaycee
kaycee  

Thanks LB, I am hoping this helps me too. I know what you mean about being ignored. My one sister uhums me a lot when I call her sometimes. I miss our old relationship before I was diagnosed, but I'm hoping someday she will understand and accept me. One time she didn't trust me with my own niece. It was when I was first diagnosed and that really hurt. Meanwhile I teach classrooms filled with children. I guess I understand her fear, but I pray everyday people will understand this disorder better than today. Smile

07/05/2010 06:07 AM
FatherKarras
FatherKarras  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Labels mean nothing in the scheme of things. What's important, I guess, is to just say "that's one effect, but not one I suffer from". It's easier than trying to explain the whole difference between the two. Just say you suffer more from depression than psychosis.

07/05/2010 06:29 AM
kaycee
kaycee  

I'm not putting a label on anyone. There are different forms of Bipolar. That's a fact. I hope you feel better soon. I've had depression at times and it's not fun. I will pray for a speedy recovery for you Smile

07/05/2010 06:31 AM
FatherKarras
FatherKarras  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I meant the differentiation between bp I and II. I'm not saying you put a lable on anyone. Smile

07/05/2010 07:24 AM
llb
llb  

Kaycee, I feel that family members can hurt you the most. (At least in my family) LLB

07/05/2010 09:34 AM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Kaycee, when trying to get family and friends to understand your disorder you should just be educating them on your type not trying to compare it to the two together. To be fair some people are learning about it for the very first time and it can be quite overwhelming so you want to give them the basic on your symptoms about your disorder and how it effects you. Bipolar I is different yes but it's also not Schizophrenia, that is another disorder in itself. The Psychosis I go through with Bipolar I is "similiar" to Schizophrenia however it's also in the same breath nothing like it. Everyones case is so different and our symptoms are so very different so the only way to educate a loved on is like I said explain your symptoms not go by text book. Here are some links also for loved ones on supporting a loved on with Bipolar Disorder. Best of luck! Wink

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/bipolar-type-ii- discussions/family-of-bipolar/1299625-supporting-your-loved- oneshelpful-sites

07/05/2010 09:56 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Welcome Kaycee! I'm happy you have joined the group. You are going to like it here. We are like a family that doesn't judge and understands. We will be there for you any way that we can be. You will meet many new friends here that will support you.

I'm a different breed, I don't care what people think of me, so it doesn't bother me that much. I have accepted my illness and try my hardest to inform others about it. I want to kill the stigma of mental illness.

Family is one of the hardest to accept when they don't understand. They are supposed to help us, support us. They can't do that when understanding is limited. Maybe you could print some information out for them to read. You will find the support you are needing here. Stay strong. Hugs

07/05/2010 10:09 AM
kaycee
kaycee  

Thanks stacey, they don't really understand, they automatically think bipolar is crazy, and it's not. I'm not sure if everyone with this disorder is totally different, I'm hoping there are some simarlarities so that I can be walked thru some of the symptoms. I often tend to go by the book and I have always been that way, lol. I remember once in grade school arguing with a teacher. She said the book isn't always right and I said, then why is it written.. I'm not sure if this condition gets worse in time. Sometimes I feel like the ups and downs become more frequent and stress triggers them. I've only had been diagnosed 7 years ago, so I'm still learning about my condition. Thanks for the links, I will check them out.

Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved